- Books, Literature, and Writing
Tips on how to make the most of your writing skills
How do you write engaging content? The desire for well-written and captivating content is highly sought after as the global community's hunger for information over the internet continues to grow. If you were to stumble upon a website that offered their services with spelling mistakes and poor language; your visit would certainly not last longer than a few seconds.
There are a few points to consider when you start to write, whether it's for website content, a blog post or even a cover letter for a new exciting job:
- fail to prepare, prepare to fail - planning and drafting are the first steps to help you create an engaging piece of writing. Establish your aim - what do you want your reader to know, feel or act upon after reading your text? Inject some emotion into your text.
- create an outline - this is useful if you are preparing a longer piece of text. An outline will provide structure and it will help you break up the task into manageable pieces of information.
- establish your main theme - if you're having trouble defining the main theme of your message, pretend that you have 15 seconds to explain your position. What do you say? This is likely to be your main theme.
- understand your audience - personalise your writing to your reader and try to answer the questions: what do they do? how do they live? what do they care about? This will appeal to the reader's interests and make them receptive to your message.
- use active language - making use of more verbs will make your writing sound invigorating and it will help shorten any lengthy sentences. Also, make sure that you remove any unnecessary words and keep it simple: instead of 'in order to run faster', say 'to run faster'.
- read out loud - it might sound obvious but this shouldn't be sidelined. Reading to yourself will enable you to hear each word and change anything that sounds messy or strange.
- second opinion - many pro writers will ask someone else to read their work. You can ask a friend or colleague to review your text - they may suggest something that you did not think of yourself.