I Have 500,000 Pageviews on HubPages
I began writing for HubPages in 2011. However, I took years off to write for other sites. I am glad I didn't deactivate my account because I returned to HubPages last year and have accumulated 500,000 pageviews as of Friday, August 17, 2018.
Therefore, I have decided not to leave HubPages again!
Received Most Pageviews
Amazingly my highest number of pageviews have come from the following articles:
- Diabetes: Peanut Butter Can Lower Blood Sugar Level
- Bell Peppers: Differences Between Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red
- Spiritual Seasons and Their Meanings
- Diabetics: 2 Quick Ways to Get Sugar Out of Your Bloodstream
Out of the top four, there are two about diabetes.
Received Fewer Pageviews
I have found that deaths of famous people received few pageviews. I wrote articles about the following famous people that did not receive many pageviews.
- Rev. Billy Graham
- Michael Jackson's father Joseph Jackson
- Designer Kate Spade
- Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain
- Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin
Perhaps the reason is because there are always lots of news about them on television. Besides, news like that comes fast and dies down. Articles like those have a very short shelf life.
I started out writing religious articles and wrote more of them than anything else for the first few years. They received pageviews then and continue to get them because they are evergreen. People are searching for information to enhance their spiritual growth.
- Psalm 23 from a Sheep's Prospective (my very first article in on January 17, 2011)
- Psalm 27 Explained in Detail
- Psalm 91
- Psalm 145
- The Lord's Prayer: A Commentary
- How to Go to Heaven
- How to Hear From God
- How to Live a Balanced Life
Articles with Titles That Are Not What They Seem
I have written a couple of article with unique titles. While they have gotten a lot of pageviews, the titles are very misleading.
- I Wish I Had Not Gone to Seminary
- Confession of a Minister: I Get Drunk
There is a punchline that people don't find out about until they read the article.
Most Precious Article
My most precious article is one I wrote when I was 16 years old. It is still powerful and people are still reading it nearly 60 years later.
What Is Life?
It is as evergreen today as the day I wrote it when I was a junior in high school, and it was published in the local newsletter.
Tips I Have Learned Along the Way
A good headline will get people to read articles.
- I try to place the keyword at the beginning or end of the headline.
- If the article is about two celebrities, I put the most popular celebrity's name first. For instance, I wrote about Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra's recent engagement. I put Nick Jonas' name first because I believe most people would google his name because it is easier to spell than Priyanka's name.
- Prince Harry was born a royal and he comes first before Meghan Markle. Believe it or not, whenever her name is first in my headline, most people read the article. Therefore, I write "Meghan Markle and Prince Harry..." instead of "Prince Harry and Meghan Markle..."
- I follow HubPage's suggestion to eliminate unnecessary words in the headline such as "the, a, an."
- I revise and update all articles periodically to keep them fresh.
- I delete low performing articles especially those that are about old news. This helps Google promote my newer articles.
Some of my top categories include the following:
Food: People love to read about food.
- Foods That Affect the Way You Look and Feel
- Food Trivia You Might Enjoy
- Foods Named After People
- Foods Named After Places in the United States
- Favorite Foods of the United States Presidents
How To Articles: These articles offer good information and people tend to read them.
- How to Be a Christian on Your Job
- How to Get That Raise or Promotion You Deserve
- How to Be Spiritually Mature
- How to Walk in Divine Favor
- How to Choose the Right Bible
- How to Cut Back on Sugar
- How to Deal with Discouragement
- How To Deal With Evil People
- How to Know If You Belong to a Toxic Church
- How to Live So You Will Be Ready to Die When the Time Comes
- How to Save Money at the Grocery Store
- How to Stay Useful All Your Life No Matter How Old You Are
- How To Stir Up Your Gift
- How to Turn a Disappointment into an Appointment
- How to Increase Traffic on HubPages
- How to Make Money as an Online Writer While You Sleep
- How to Use Keywords to Rank High with Search Engines
- How to Earn Money from Pinterest
Polls: It is a fun way to enjoy what the survey says whether right or wrong. People are curious about what the survey says about them:
- How You Like Your Eggs Cooked Says a Lot About You
- The Color of Your Car Reveals a Lot About You
What Your Eyeglasses Reveal About You
- How You Eat Corn on the Cob Reveals a Lot about You
- How Your Relationship With Money Affects How Much You Will Ever Have
My Favorite Type of Article to Write
I like writing listicles because they are easy to write and to read. The format looks more appealing. Besides, I can go back and revise the list by adding more or deleting some part of the list. I have dozens of listicles on HubPages. Here are some examples.
- 20 Creative Ways to Save Money
- 4 Causes of Discouragement
- 4 Ways to Be Anxious for Nothing
- 5 Easy Ways to Reduce Food Waste
- 5 Ways to Eat Fruit
- 5 People in the Bible Who Had a Death Wish
- 6 Ways to Stop Forgetting
The list goes on and on.
Highest and Lowest Scores
The articles that have received the highest scores by HubPages include the following:
- Celebrate Your Birthday
- The Case For and Against Cremation
- Reasons Faithful Members Leave the Church
- Largest Churches in America and How They Grew So Fast
- What the Bible Says About Being Single
The ones with the lowest scores include the following:
- The People in Your Life Are There for a Reason
- ‘The Jerry Springer Show' Production Comes to an End
- Divide Your Day to Get the Most Out of It
- Barack Obama Recommends Asking Three Questions Before Selecting a Mate
Surprisingly, the articles with low HubPages scores still had impressive pageviews. Besides, the scores constantly change.
Plans for the Next 500,000
It will not take as long to get the next 500,000 pageviews as it did to get the first 500,000. That's because the first batch will still accumulate pageviews and that number will be added to pageviews of the new articles.
Also, I have learned what works and what doesn't work. I am familiar with what my subscribers will read and what they will pass over. Therefore, I plan to write more articles based on what I think people will read.
I intend to write more listicles because they are easy and quicker to write. I will refrain from writing hard news and leave that for other sites. I will continue to write evergreen articles because they never get old.
If you have read any of my articles, here is a big "Thank You."
I was not allowed by this site to make the article titles into links for you to click on. Besides, it would have been self-promoting the articles. However, you have the exact title to google if you are interested in checking out some of them.