- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing»
- Word Usage & Grammar
Important Punctuation Marks
Keep these things in Mind while Writing
Punctuation is one of the most important aspects of correct expression in a language. It is marked with certain signs.
There are some important punctuation marks that always confuse us. We forget or don’t know where to use them, where is their correct place in a sentence?
Semicolon (;)- A semicolon is midway between a full stop and a comma. It is used-
- - To separate two related clauses:
Eg. Sometimes she smiles; sometimes she cries.
- - To separate a clause and a related phrase.
Ex. To err is human; to forgive divine.
- - To separate items in a list, when these are either clauses or extended phrases.
Ex. Most of students lack devotion to studies; they read only to get through; they do not cherish the value of education.
Colon (:)- the colon is used-
- -To introduce a list
Ex.- You are required to bring these things: a bed sheet, two sets of uniform and a set of furniture.
- - To introduce an explanation
Ex. My problem is: I can’t work hard in given situation.
- -To separate two contracts,
Ex. We make plans: the insincere students mar them.
Hyphen (-)- The hyphen is used
- -To join the parts of a compound word.
- - In some cases to join a word and a prefix.
Ex. Post-dated, co-opt.
Inverted Commas or Quotation Marks- Inverted commas are of two types-
- - Single Inverted Commas (‘ …..‘)
- - Double Inverted Commas (“ ……..”)
They are used –
- -To enclose all words said in direct speech.
Ex. He said, “I want to go home.”
- -To enclose titles of different genres of literature.
Ex. ‘Of Studies’ , ‘The Love Song of j. Alfred Prufrock?’
- - To emphasize a word or phrase that the writer believes is false or humorous.
Ex. Making the brain of a child the storehouse of information is called ‘education’ by some.
Brackets- Brackets are used to enclose a remark r to give a more comprehensive information.
Ex. Our university (University of Allahabad) is known as Oxford University of India.