Interacting with others on Hubpages and other successful actions from a newbie Hubpages user (Hubber).
Starting with Hubpages
I was introduced to Hubpages as part of the 30 day challenge about 4 months back. Since then, I have learned a thing or two, but have along ways to go. I figured I would write down some of the things I think I know and which seemed to have helped me and perhaps others can chime in.
1) Interact with others. I think it's great to read lots of hubs, follow people you enjoy and leave fan mail, comments, etc.
2) Give back to others who give to you. I don't know if everyone does this, but whenever a fellow Hub-pager leaves me a comment, I always go find one of their articles to contribute to with a comment. I think this is good karma and you build relationships of sorts. The last couple of days for example, I have enjoyed leaving comments for habee and I noticed she always does the same. No wonder she has a 100 score.
3) Throw in interesting hubs in addition to your money makers if your main marketing sites are drab. I don't think my travel sites are particularly boring, but they aren't huge draws. A hubber I follow, dohn121 always has the hubs he writes about beautiful women reaching scores of 100. I watched the Olympics and started to get a little crush on Julia Mancuso. I put a hub up about her and happened to throw the first photo up of her in a bathing suit and suddenly that is my most trafficked hub of all time.... I wrote a hub recently about people filing for unemployment and it got a lot of interest pretty quick because it's something a lot of people are dealing with right now. The one I put up about losing weight was extremely successful.
4) Don't put up offensive hubs. Well, lets face it. Some people can be very conservative. I certainly wasn't trying to be offensive with this one. But, I threw up a hub about "spotting transsexuals" because of a very funny story from the weekend some buddies had been discussing. While the hub had sizzle, I noticed that when it was in my recent hubs, I was getting less followers. I was thinking this had something to do with maybe people assumed I had weird hubs... Anyways, I removed the hub until I had 6 others to sort of replace it on my recent hubs which shows on my profile....
5) I have heard that spending the proper amount of time writing before publishing makes a difference. Ie. letting the hub marinate so to speak. That including a few videos and lots of photos helps. I haven't done much testing, but I believe it.
6) This really only applies to myself. I would have chosen a better name. Haha. I picked a pretty unappealing name intentionally. If your name is Fester, please don't take offense. I think it's kind of cool sort of. My real first and last names are outstanding as names go. But I jokingly didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I do and chose FesterSporling as my name. Well, I wish I could change it now, but it's too late.
7) Easy with external links. I put up a 4th external link this morning on my profile and I noticed I dropped from 84 to 77 in 1 minute. I am guessing this had something to do with it.... We shall see I guess. I removed that 4th external link. I have heard you never want to put more than 2 in any given article. It is OK to put in as many Hubpage links as you want however.
8) Create an adsense account of your own. I have actually not even done this. But I am guessing even if you get a click here and there, you are making something instead of not making any money at all.... Might as well make something off the ads.
9) Link to your hubs from within your hubs. Standard marketing and spreading juice around all your hubs isn't a bad idea. I have recently noticed a lot of the "Pros" on here do this. Especially if you create a sizzle article that gets a lot of traffic you then want to send to your money sites. Ie. if you do write a really popular site about Swedish supermodels, not a bad idea to have a link sending PR to your hub from which you try to sell your Life Insurance or Phone accessories.
10) Don't stay away long. I just noticed, particularly when you are new and don't spend time on your hub pages, your score falls below 75 which then makes everything "no follow". Having an overall profile score of 75 and higher makes all your external links "do follow". This is highly intelligent of hubpages. It means that people who are "fly by night" and only here to try to make a quick buck won't succeed. Only real hubbers who follow the rules and contribute will benefit from this service.
I will think of some more and add, but if you leave any good advice in comments, I can surely add them to the mix.
Advice from Expert Hubbers
#11) (from Enelle Lamb): if you (or any newbie) is interested in making some cash with your writing, make sure to include an amazon capsule in your hubs, and possibly an eBay capsule as well.
#12) (Enelle continued) Google likes words, so try and make your hub as close to 1000 words as possible ;) and add link or news capsules as well. That will sometimes bring up the hub score and get you more views. You really do need to get an Adsense account - you would be surprised how quickly your $$ adds up!