It's Funnier in the Philippines
"Please close the ref after you get out the food".
"OMG! close the door, the aircon may get out!"
"It's okay, eat all you can eat".
Oh, Philippines, My dear Philippines--land of the mornings, pearl of the orient seas, home of fun-loving people.
Filipinos are fond of inventing and discovering new things and they love inventing new words and new meanings for old words as well. Some of these words or phrases may exist in the English vocabulary but the way most Filipinos interpret them are different. Native English speaking people may not understand us right away but, that's not important to us because what we care about is we understand one another.
So, now let me give you some examples of so called FILIPINISMS--pure filipino; only in the Philippines...
- RUBBER SHOES- sneakers; trainers
- CR ( comfort room)- restroom; powder room; toilet; washroom; men's/ladies' room
- SLIPPERS- flip lops
- COME AGAIN - I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that; is a replacement of Pardon me?
- AIRCON- air conditioner; air-conditioning unit
- CONNECTED WITH - 'working with'.
- FETCHING - picking up someone from somewhere else.
- BATCHES - used to describe people, should rather be, to describe things.
- FALL in LINE - Stand in line, form a line
- OFFICEMATES- is a replacement word for colleagues.
- QUITE- Some Filipinos think it is synonymous to the word slight
- FOR FREE- free of charge
- TAKE OUT- to go
- HOLD YOUR LINE FOR A WHILE- please hold; would you mind if I put you on hold for a second?
- I'll ASK HER AN APOLOGY- I'll apologize to her
- WE ACCEPT REPAIRS- This shop repairs cars, bags, computers etc.
- TUCK OUT- Untuck (If there is Tuck in of course there is tuck out!)
- HE WAS SALVAGED- ( Filipinos mean he was assassinated) he was saved
- SHE DELIVERED HER BABY YESTERDAY- she had her baby yesterday
- OPPOSITOR- opposition member
- IT'S TRAFFIC TODAY- the traffic is heavy
- SENATORIABLE- senatorial candidate
- AT AROUND 2PM- at about 2pm
- I'M TAKING UP LAW- I'm taking Law; I'm studying Law
- WHERE ARE YOU STUDYING- where do you go to school
- PASS BY MY OFFICE BEFORE YOU GO- drop by my office before you go
- ACTUALLY, I LOVE LEONARDO DICAPRIO- actually/basically has become Filipinos expressions or unnecessary fillers
- AS TO THE PROJECT- about the project
- BOTTOMLESS- refillable
- GO DOWN (form the vehicle)- get off (from the vehicle)
- I'LL GO AHEAD- Goodbye; I have to go
These are just some examples of FILIPINISMS, there are a lot more. If you want to learn how to use these words in a Filipino way, why don't you visit our country! I swear you're going to love us.
I hope you enjoyed reading. "I'll go ahead and I'll see yah around!"