- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Books & Novels»
- Books for Teens & Young Adults»
- Young Adult Fantasy, Supernatural & Sci-Fi Books
Katniss Everdeen Tutorial
Who is Katniss Everdeen?
Katniss Everdeen is the protagonist in The Hunger Games, who lives in Panem, which is composed of 12 districts. When her sister, Prim, gets picked to fight to the death in the Hunger Games, Katniss volunteers for her and takes her place in the Hunger Games. Katniss has become a widely known character throughout the world and has gained much popularity with the movie release. She is a young, strong, and brave individual, who will do anything for the people she loves.
What Is Katniss's Signature Hair Style?
In the books and movies, Katniss is depicted wearing her signature hair style, the side braid. There are many different types of braids, and the type of braid pictured is a dutch braid. A dutch braid is very similar to a french braid, apart from the fact that when constructing the braid, you pull pieces of hair under the braid instead of on top. That may sound confusing at first, but once you read the steps below, you should have enough knowledge to be able to complete a dutch side braid.
As you can see pictured above, there are only a few steps to constructing a dutch braid. The braid is actually quite simple to do, however it may take some practice and time to get used it.
Steps for the Dutch Braid
These steps correspond to the image above:
- Gather three pieces of hair on one side of your head; this will be the starting point/ base of your braid.
- Start braiding the three pieces. This is the tricky part: You must bring the sections to the middle (like you would with a normal braid) but instead of crossing over, you must cross under.
- As you continue to do this, remember to slowly add pieces from the hair left out of the braid-on that particular side of your head that you are braiding on-into strands of the braid, similar to a french braid.
- Continue to braid all around your head until the remaining hair falls over your opposite shoulder.
- From there, you will start forming a regular braid by gathering three pieces of hair and crossing the pieces on the side over to the center. Secure the braid with a hair tie or an elastic band.
- As another added touch, you can pull at the sides of the braid a little to make it look more natural and messy, as Katniss's hair isn't supposed to look perfect.
If you would like to learn how to do a dutch side braid by watching a tutorial, there is a youtube video down below so that you can view the steps in motion.
What was Katniss's outfit in The Hunger Games?
The Hunger Games is a brutal game of survival, so Katniss wore articles of clothing that would not only be comfortable, but items that would benefit her in the arena. You can either buy the clothing items that I linked below, or you can use this list to gather clothing items on your own.
Here are the basic things that are needed to complete this look:
- plain black (v-neck) t-shirt
- military cargo pants
- black hooded jacket
- gold mockingjay Pin
- black boots
Where Can I Buy These Items?
An accessory that would be perfect for a Katniss costume is a bow and arrows. Katniss is known for being great at shooting a bow and arrow, and this is one of the main weapons she uses when she is competing in the Hunger Games. Either you can buy one (fake, of course) at a shop that sells props or toys, or you can buy a set on Amazon with the shortcut provided below.
Katniss does not wear makeup in the books, however she does have a little bit of makeup on in the movies. This makeup look is a very natural look, since it is modeled after her arena look. For this makeup look, you should try to use the least amount of makeup as you can, while still enhancing your features and giving yourself a Katniss Everdeen look.
What makeup products should I use?
For a Katniss look, it is best to create a look that is as natural as possible. In the image above, there are makeup products that I think would be best for this tutorial. In the list below, I added the exact name or brand of the product so you can get the exact one that is pictured above, however this is optional. You can apply these products in almost any order you want and feel free to add or leave out products.
- Foundation- match your skin tone (Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse)
- Concealer- match your skin tone(Cover FX Cream Concealer)
- Eyeshadow Primer- any eyeshadow primer will work (Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer)
- Eyeliner- use a brown or gold/bronze color (NARS Soft Touch Shadow Pencil in color Skorpios)
- Eyeshadow- a nice light, shimmery color or natural brown color (Stila Eyeshadow in Kitten)
- Eyebrow Filler-corresponds to your eyebrow color (Makeup Forever Aqua Brow)
- Powder Blush- any rosy color will work (Bronzer-Blush Duo from GloMinerals Kit)
- Finishing Powder- (Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil Finishing Powder)
- Mascara- brown or black (Dior Diorshow Iconic Mascara)
- Lip Gloss- a natural lip balm or gloss should work (Chanel Glossimer in Pagoda)
Believe it or not, Katniss actually had nail polish on while she was in the arena in the 74th Hunger Games. She described them as being little flames on each nail, which corresponds to her nickname "The Girl on Fire."
- Apply a black base.
- Using a shimmery red color, focus most of the color at the tip of the nail and gradually use less color as you get closer to the base. Do the same thing with the yellow shimmery color and if possible, an prance shimmery color.
- To finish, use a top coat to ensure that your nails last long and don't chip.
Alternate Version (Video)
What is your favorite Hunger Games book?
Thank you for checking out my Katniss Everdeen tutorial! If you have any requests for me to do a tutorial on another character (can be from anywhere), please let me know in the comments. I would be happy to do another tutorial and I welcome all requests.