- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
Laughter, Quotes, Sayings, Tips and Benefits
Benefits of Laughter
- 15 minutes of laughter has the same benefits as getting two hours sleep.
- Laughter helps release fear.
- According to a study done by the University of Chicago, a great sense of humor can add up to 8 years to your life.
- Laughter exercises your diaphram.
- Laughter helps difuse conflict and put an end to a dispute.
- Laughter can help lower your blood pressure. People who tend to laugh at their mistakes show less of a rise in blood pressure when under pressure.
- When laughter is shared, it binds people together and increases happiness and intimacy.
- Laughter help release anxiety and stress.
- Laughter triggers the release of the body’s natural feel-good chemicals called endorphins.
- Laughter lowers the body's level of cortisol. Since cortisol supresses the immune system, lowering it helps the immune system work properly.
- Laughter helps release anger.
- Laughter increases your oxygen intake.
- Laughter improves your mood and the mood of those around you.
- You stimulate your heart and lungs by laughing. This helps improve your overall breathing capacity.
- Laughter helps us bond with one another. When we laugh we tend to talk more, make more eye contact and these thing help us bond.
- Laughter can be a good enery boost, it increase your enery level.
- Laughter can help release nervousness.
- One good belly laugh burns off approximately 3.5 calories.
- Laughter makes you feel good about yourself and help raise your self esteem.
Laughter quotes and sayings
- I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose. - Woody Allen
- Earth laughs in flowers. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. - e. e. cummings
- A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. - Irish Proverb
- The mosre you find out about the world, the more opportunities there are to laugh at it. - Bill Nye
- Always laught when you can. It is cheap medicine. - Lord Byron
- You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants. - Stephen King
- You cannot be mad at somebody who makes you laugh - it's as simple as that. - Jay Leno
- Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it, and then move on. - Bob Newhart
- Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face. - Victor Hugo
Different Types of Laughter
Laughter is one of our most powerful expressions of silent communication. There are many types of laughter ranging from giggling to cackles.
- Pigeon Laughter
This type of laughter is in the giggle range. When ones laughs a pigeon laugh is is a giggle with the lips closed. It tends to sound more like a humming as a result of trying to hide the laughter. It is called pigeon laughter because of the similarity to the sound a pigeon makes. Often this type of laugh is used in yoga or laughter therapy to help relieve stress or pain.
- Etiquette Laughter
This laugh is used when laughing at someone's joke that you don't understand or don't find funny. It is often used to pacify or to help get along with other people. Most often used then in the company of a boss or someone you need to impress. Unfortunately many times the other person can tell it's a polite false laugh.
- Snort Laughter
This type of laughter is generally used by someone who thinks they are better than the ones around them. The snort is their way of letting people know they disapprove of, or think little of the other persons opinion. This is the laugh of a snob.
- Sniggering Laughter
This type of laughter is more of an underhanded laugh at you kind of laughter. This is used generally by someone making fun of or taking delight in anothers discomfort. The person who laughs in this manner is generally thought of as immature, insensitive and unsympathetic.
- Silent Laughter
A smile is considered a silent laugh. It is as beneficial as a laugh out loud type of laugh. The only real difference between the two is one is noisy the other is silent. I have seen people open their mouths wide, throw their heads back and have their belly shake like a bowl full of jello, but have no sound escape from their mouth. So a silent laugh can range between a giggle and a silent roaring laugh.
- Chuckling Laughter
This type of laughter is a hard one to fake. It is a good natured laugh along with you type of laughter somewhere inbetween a silent laugh and a belly laugh. A person who chuckles is thought of as a kind and thoughtful type of person.
- Nervous Laughter
This laughter occurs when we need to be at our most dignified. For example; at a funeral, during an important meeting or when something happens that really isn't funny but somehow you can't help but laugh. Have you ever seen someone fall down and you can't seem to stop yourself from laughing? I have seen children laugh when they get corrected and they are so nervous they can't stop the little giggle from escaping. This laugh shows our stress and nervousness. Unfortunately it also generally makes the situation worse.
- Belly Laughter
This is the most honest of all the types of laughter. There is no way to fake it. You open your mouth and out it comes. Many times it leaves the person holding their sides gasping for air. With this laughter more than the others you can generally see the differnce between the way the man laughs and the woman laughs. The man generally snorts or grunts along with the belly laugh while the woman generally giggles uncontrollably.
- Cackling Laughter
This type of laughter is openly distainful and disrespectful. It is generally overly loud with a shreik thrown in occasionally. The person who uses this type of laugh is opening taking pleasure in someone else's pain and discomfort.
Tips to Bring More Laughter in Your Life
- Smile more. I may sound silly but the more you smile the easier it is to laugh.
- Sit down and take a minute to remember a time that you laughed so hard your sides hurt. Then laugh at the memory.
- Keep a journal of the things that make you laugh or amuse you. Whenever your down you can read the list and give yourself a lift.
- Start a happy conversation. Start talking about funny things, amusing things.
- Don't take life so seriously. Learn to laugh at yourself. We all make mistakes from time to time.
- Spend most of your time with people who make you laugh.
- Share with your firends and loved ones some of your funny, embarrassing stories.
- Surround yourself with funny pictures, storiesm quotes, and cartoons.
- Learn to play. You'll be surprized at how easy it is to laugh when you are being playful.
- Health: Laughter as Cure
Humor was was once badly criticized in parts of the medical profession and only bullyism and academics were respected. Times have changed for the better. Medical Students at many Universities in America are now trained in how to be funny.
- Laughter Is Indeed The Best Medicine
Good health is a treasure that many of us tend to take for granted, but as we get older we seek it and appreciate it even more. Many experts have had seminars and conferences dealing with health issues. Many...
- I Pee When I Laugh - Incontinence After Childbirth
There, I said it. Im out of the proverbial closet, the water closet, that is. I pee when I laugh, or I used to anyway. To be clear, I peed when I laughed, or sneezed, or coughed, or danced, or stumbled, or...
- Laugh and the World Laughs with You
Laugh and the world laughs with you; Weep and you weep...
- Being Able To Laugh At Yourself, The Benefits And Dr...
They say that laughter is often the best medicine. I can't tell you the number of friends, relatives and therapists who have told me that or in the number of situations.
- live love laugh quotes