Memory, Memories, and Remember Quotes and Sayings
What is Memory?
Memory is the ability to remember happenings, events, people, and thoughts for a period of time. There is long term and short term memory. Long term memory is remembering a childhood game, a vacation in the mountains, the way to get to work, math you were taught in school. Short term memory is remembering a phone number long enough to write it down. Basically it is the memory of something you were just exposed to and can last anywhere from a matter of seconds to a few days.
Memories such as the taste of your mother's lemonade, the birth of your first child, or the smell of the horse farm down the street is what provides you with your sense of self. It ties you to your past, makes you comfortable with your present surrounds, and it provides you with a base for your future.
Basically, memory is the innate ability to store, retain, and recall information and past experiences. It is what makes us who we are.
Causes of Memory Loss
- malnourishment of the brain
- lack of nutrition
- thyroid disorders
- certain prescribed medications
- head trama
- brain tumor
- Alzheimer's disease
Memory quotes and sayings
- Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. - From the TV show "The Wonder Years"
- Sadness is always the legacy of the past; regrets are pains of the memory. - Author Unknown
- I have short-term memory loss, though I'd like to think of it as Persidential eligibility. - Paula Poundstone
- There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
- Memory feeds imagination. - Amy Tan
- Memory is the only movie you can play over and over in your head without the background music or any creative fictional twists. - Author Unknown
- Memory is what tells a man that his wife's birthday was yestrday. - MarioRocco
- The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory. - Author Unknown
- Why is it that our memory is good enough to retain the least triviality that happens to us, and yet not good enough to recollect how often we have told it to the same person? - La Rochefoucauld
- Nothing fixes a thing so intensly in the memory as the wish to forget it. - Michel de Montaigne
- Do not trust your memory; it is a net full of holes; the most beautiful prizes slip through it. - Robertson Davies
- Memory is the greatest of artists, and effaces from your mind what is unnecessary. - Maurice Baring
- I'm always fascinated by the way memory diffuses fact. - Diane Sawyer
- The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. - Friedrich Nietzsche
- The true art of memory is the art of attention. - Samuel Jackson
- The palest ink is better than the best memory. - Chinese Proverb
- Memory moderates prosperity, decreases adversity, controls youth and delights old age. - Lactantius Firmianus
Remember quotes and sayings
- In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Remembrances embelish life but forgetfulness alone makes it possible. - General Enrico Cialdini
- When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. - Mark Twain
- Alwasys remember to slow down in life; live, breathe, and learn; take a look around you whenever you have time and never forget everything and every person that has the least place in your heart. - Unknown Author
- Remember happiness doesn't depend on who you are or what you have, it depends solely on what you think. - Dale Carnegie
- The world will little note nor long remember what we say here. - Abraham Lincoln
- Things that were hard to bear are sweet to remember. - Seneca
- Remember, we all stumble, every one of us. That's why it's a comfort to go hand-in-hand. - Emily Kimbrough
- Beginnings are usually scary and ending are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts. You have to remember this when you find yourself at the beginning. - Sandra Bullock
- A childhood is what anyone wants to remember of it. It leaves behind no fossils, except perhaps in fiction. - Carol Shields
- A year, ten years from now, I'll remember this; not why, only that we were here like this , together. - Adrienne Rich
- Yet how much less it were to gain, Though thou hast left me free, The loveliest things that still remain, Than thus remember me. - Lord Byron
- Women always worry about the things that men forget; men always worry about the things women remember. - Unknown Author
- You can't regret what you can't remember. - Lisa Birnbach
- To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it. - Confucius
- Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons. Love yourself, trust your choices and everything is possible. - Cherie Carter-Scott
- Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. - Epicurus
- What we remember from childhood we remember forever - permanent ghosts, stamped, inked, imprinted, eternally seen. - Cynthia Ozick
- Always tell the truth - it's the easiest thing to remember. - David Mamet
- You might well remember that nothing can bring you success but yourself. - Napoleon Hill
- Remember, people will judge you by your actions, mot your intentions. You may have a heart of gold - but so does a hard-boiled egg. - Unknown Author
- Somewhere there is someone that dreams of your smile, and finds in your presence that life is worthwhile, so when you are lonely remember it's true, someone somewhere is thinking of you. - Unknown Author
Memories quotes and sayings
- Memories are all we really own. - Elias Lieberman
- We must always try to keep old memories and young hopes. - Houssaye
- The best things in life come in threes, like friends, dreams, and memories. - Unknown Author
- Creditors have better memories than debtors. - Benjamin Franklin
- For the sense of smell, almost more than any other, has the power to recall memories and it is a pity that you use it so little. - Rachel Carson
- Songs and smells will bring you back to a moment in time more than anything else. It's amazing how much can be conjured with a few notes of a song or a solitary whiff of a room. A song you didn't even pay attention to at the time, a place that you didn't even know had a particular smell. - Emily Giffin
- I cannot say good-bye to those whom I have grown to love for the memories we have made will last a lifetime and never know a good-bye. - Unknown Author
- When our memories outweigh our dreams, we have grown old. - Bill Clinton
- I have memories - but only a fool stores his past in the future. - David Gerrold
- Life gives us brief moments with another...but sometimes in those brief moments we get memories that last a lifetime... - Unknown Author
- God gave us memories that we might have roses in December. - J. M. Barrie
- Memories are not a key to the past, but to the future. - Unknown Author
- The difference between false memories and true ones is the same as for jewels; it is always the false ones that look the most real, the most brilliant. - Salvador Dali
- Everybody needs his memories. They keep the wolf of insignificance from the door. - Saul Bellow
- We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us. - David Seamands
- I have more memories than if I were a thousand years old. - Charles Baudelaire
- Today equals the sum of yesterdays dreams and tomorrows memories. - William Shubin
- History is the ship carrying living memories to the future. - Stephen Spender
- Sometimes no matter how much faith we have we lose people. But you never forget them. And sometimes, it's those memories that give us the faith to go on. - Unknown Author
- We do not remember days, we remember moments. The richness of life lies in memories we have forgotten. - Cesare Pavese
Tips To Improve Memory
- Stay mentally active - read. learn a new hobby, do crossword puzzles
- Get organized - keep a to-do list, place items in the same spot each time, write things down
- Include some physical activity in your daily routine - take walks, take dancing lessons, join an aerobic's class
- Manage chronic conditions - keep doctor's appointments, take prescribed medication, follow docotr's orders
- Socialize regularly - it helps to ward off stress and depression - join a club, volunteer, join a senior citizens center, go window shopping
- Focus - do one thing at a time
- Eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water
Memory Problems That Are Not Part Of Normal Aging
- trouble making choices
- trouble remembering new things
- forgetting things more often than you used to
- trouble handinling money
- forgetting how to do things you've done many times before
- getting lost in familiar areas
- repeating phrases or stories over and over in the same conversation
- not being able to keep track of what happens each day
Alzheimer's Signs and Symptoms
- Difficulty remembering common words when talking
- Mixing up words - example: saying cup when you mean tomato
- Asking the same question over and over
- Becoming less able to follow directions
- Misplacing items in inappropriate places - example: wallet in freezer
- Getting lost when driving down a familiar street
- Being unable to complete familiar tasks, such as following a recipe
- Undergoing a sudden change in mood or behavior for no apparent reason
- Aging Memory Loss - Simple Tips to Stop and Reverse ...
Do You Have Aging Memory Loss? Are you suffering from aging memory loss? Even if your memory is generally good and you can do your normal daily tasks - there may still be some signs that you are suffering from...
- How To Improve BRAIN FUNCTIONS and Prevent Memory Lo...
Majority of people are very afraid of losing memory and getting dementia in older age. When we see old people completely confused with destructed functions of brain and bodies, all of us secretly wish that...
- Exercise Your Brain To Improve Concentration And Mem...
Mental health is as important, if not more, as one's physical health. Whatever be your age,a human brain needs to be exercised regularly in order to improve upon one's concentration , memory and IQ which...
- Eidetic Memory: Is It Real?
We have all heard stories about people who have an eidetic memory (known more commonly as a photographic memory). These are people who remember extreme details of something even if they have only looked at...
- A Christmas Collection of Memories | Hallmark Record...
A Christmas Collection of Memories | Hallmark Recordable Storybooks will show how Hallmark is contributing to connecting families and creating memories this Christmas. I believe Hallmark will make another year...