Writing Jobs for Stay at Home Moms
Copywriting is a Quick Way to Earn
Are you a mom who would like to make a little extra money? A college student hoping to earn some cash for books? Maybe you just graduated and are looking for a little supplemental income. Copywriting from home can be a great way to earn a little cash by starting your own freelance writing business with just a computer and Internet connection.
How Much Money Can You Make?
At first, as you learn the system and learn how to write copy, you may find you don't make very much per hour. I think I worked for 2-3 hours on my first assignment, which made me $7.00. Now I make around $10.00 per assignment and these generally take me less than an hour.
You will do better if you follow the tips in my Hubs about How to Get Started Copy Writing for Interact Media and Tips for Success as a Copywriter. In general, how much you make is limited by:
- How much time you have to do jobs.
- What jobs are available.
- Whether you have a job from the board already (which means you can't take another job from the board until you have finished it--meaning jobs can go by that you would have liked to get).
- Whether you can develop a client base which gives you direct assignments (which you can stack up without limit and complete when you have time as long as you do them before they are due).
About half of my jobs are by direct assignment. I have two clients which give me the bulk of my direct assignment work. Unless you were able to get a lot of direct assignment clients, I'm not sure you could make a full-time salary through Interact Media copywriting, but you could combine Interact Media with HubPages, and another copywriting service like Textbroker and probably do fairly well.
What Qualities Do You Need to Be Successful?
Perseverance is important, and so is being willing to learn the process. You have to be willing It helps if you are to able to write clear copy without errors. Textbroker actually has a star system which allows spelling and grammar errors for lower level assignments, but Interact Media expects your copy to be free of spelling and grammar errors. Their Zerys writing tool of Interact Media does a primitive spell check but not a grammar check. You are expected to have a native English fluency in grammar and word choice. I use Grammarly to help remind me of my errors. It is free and works easily with Chrome browser on in Microsoft word.
BenefitsClick thumbnail to view full-size
How Do I Get Started?
Becoming a copywriter is free and easy, but you may want to set aside some time to write your sample copy. You go to the company website for TextBroker or Interact Media and follow their instructions for entering your name, password and other information. As a final part of the process, they will ask you to submit a sample copy of your writing.
After your writing has been reviewed, which takes a couple of days, you will get a star rating of 1-5 (five is best). Depending on your star rating, you will be then able to take jobs off the job board. That's it! As soon as you get your first job, complete it and have it accepted, you will start earning money.
How to Get a Good First Rating
When I started, I wrote a terrible sample, got a low rating and had a difficult time getting my first job. Now, however, Interact Media has a lot more jobs available and Textbroker has a seemingly unlimited supply, so you should have no trouble getting started right away. Here is a brief summary of what to do on your sample copy:
- Write using headlines with only 2-3 sentences of text underneath each.
- Use active verbs and edit for conciseness.
- Under at least one heading use bullet points instead of text.
- Write either in the second "you" or third "he, she, it" person.
- Write a blog post for a company you know (check their website for ideas).
What Skills do You Need?
Although I am a pretty fast writer, I think that anyone with good basic writing skills could also make money from home by doing freelancing for an online company like Interact Media or Textbroker. It helps if you:
- Can write clearly, concisely and with good spelling and grammar.
- Have practice writing on the Internet for a blog or on HubPages.
- Have some experience in business or some college education.
- Know how to search for information on the Internet.
- Have good typing skills.
- Know how to organize your thought and writing.
- Like to write and learn.
Although good spelling and grammar are helpful, Textbroker has a category of writing which allows some minor grammar mistakes and even spelling errors. Moreover, you can use a word processing program as you write for help on that, and you will probably get faster and better as you go on as a copywriter. If you have good general writing skills and need a flexible schedule, copywriting can be a good job for you too.
10 Advantages for Moms
- You choose the jobs you want to do.
- You can work from home at your own pace.
- If you are busy with other projects or a vacation, you can take time off.
- Moms can work around nap times and bedtimes.
- You get paid for anything the client accepts.
- Payment is twice a month through Paypal.
- Clients can "favorite" you and give you direct assignments.
- You can learn a lot of interesting things as you write.
- Copywriting sharpens your ability to do excellent SEO and keyword writing.
- What you learn from copywriting can help you re-enter the job market later.
As a mom of 5 kids, I've been doing copywriting for 5 years now off and on. So far, I've done over 600 jobs and made over $6,000, which works out to around $10 per assignment. Actually, I've been getting more than that recently because Interact Media has revised some of their policies and I now have some steady clients who pay more. How much you earn depends on the skill set you bring, the time you have available and your willingness to work!