- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
More Fascinating Random Facts
Random facts and writers
As a writer, I find random facts fascinating. After all, one random fact can lead to many fascinating written articles.
Take for example, the random fact, "Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated". A good writer might possible start out with a tale about why someone was putting rubber bands in the refrigerator. Then weave their magic colorfully explaining how they camae to the conclusion that refrigerated rubber bands actually do last longer. They could take this little fact and make it so interesting that you would read every word.
As for the rest of the world, I think they just like knowing little tidbits of information. Some little tidbit of information to use to impress their friends and maybe win a trivia game or two. What do you think?
The human side of random faacts
- Rubberbands last longer when refrigerated.
- On average, half of all false teeth have some form of radioactivity.
- Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
- The first TV show to be put into reruns was "The Lone Ranger."
- A lemon contains more sugar than a strawberry.
- Until coffee gained popularity, beer was the beverage of choice for breakfast in most urban areas of the United States.
- 96% of the U.S. population lives within 20 miles of a Walmart.
- Studies show painting your room blue will make you more creative.
- A British website sells land on Mars and Venus for about $29 an acre.
- Didaskaleinophobia is the fear of going to school.
- If humans had the metabolism of a hummingbird, they would have to intake 155,000 calories a day.
- A person eats around 60,000 pounds worth of food during his life which is the equivalent of six elephants.
- The radiation from smoking a pack of cigarettes a day compares to almost 2,000 chest x-rays!
- With just 57 people in a room, the chance that there are two people who share a birthday is at least 99%!
- More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.
- If you're typical, you can guess someone's sex with 95% accuracy just by smelling their breath.
- Married men change their underwear about twice as much as single men.
- Women speak about 20,000 words a day while men only speak 7,000.
- Longest officially recognized place name is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu, has 85 letters. It's the name for a hill, 305 metres (1,000 ft) high, close to Porangahau, New Zealand.
- Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never telephoned His wife or mother because they were both deaf.
- About 75 acres of pizza are eaten in in the U.S. everyday.
- The creosote bush, which grows in the Mojave, Sonoran, and Chihuahuan deserts, has been shown by radiocarbon dating to have lived since the birth of Christ. Some of these plants may endure 10,000 years, scientists say.
- Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance
- In the late 19th century, millions of human mummies were used as fuel for locomotives in Egypt where wood and coal was scarce, but mummies were plentiful.
- Humans have 46 chromosomes, peas have 14 and crayfish have 200.
- The name of Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg is Algonquin for "I fish on my side, you fish on your side, and nobody fishes in the middle."
- Queen Elizabeth I regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not
- A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.
- The length of your forearm from elbow to wrist is the same length of your foot from heel to toe. Try it if you don’t believe me.
- Coca-Cola would be green if coloring weren’t added to it.
- Grapes explode when you put them in the microwave.
- Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
- According to U.S. FDA standards, 1 cup of orange juice is allowed to contain 10 fruit fly eggs, but only 2 maggots.
- In 1386, a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child.
- 315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled.
- Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.
The animal side of random facts
- A 'geep' is the resulting offspring of a sheep and a goat.
- The lion has the smallest heart of all beasts of prey.
- Tiger shark embroyos fight each other in their mother's womb. The survivor is born.
- Penguins can jump 6 feet in the air.
- A Blue whale's tongue weighs more than an elephant.
- Polar bears have more problems with overheating than they do with cold. Even in very cold weather, they quickly overheat when they try to run.
- Sloths take two weeks to digest their food.
- When a male penguin falls in love with a female penguin, He searches the entire beach to find the perfect pebble to present her. And when he finally finds it, he waddles over to her and places the pebble right in front of her. Kind of like a proposal.
- Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand.
- .A snail can sleep for 3 years at a stretch.
- Ostrich eats pebbles to help digestion by grinding up the ingested food.
- Many fish can change sex during the course of their lives. Others, especially rare deep-sea fish, have both male and female sex organs.
- Giraffes can not swim.
- .A wolf's howl - owing to its specific frequency, doesn't echo even if the animal howls right in the middle of a valley. This is a natural animal adaptation for wolves, which plays a crucial role in communication and hunting for this species.
- The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning it's head are the rabbit and the parrot.
- Goldfish lose their color if kept in dim light. Similar to humans, they need sunlight to keep their pigment.
- Rabbits love liquorice - but it is very bad for them because they cannot digest sugars.
- Spiders have 8 legs and 48 knees.
- There are more plastic flamingos in the USA than real flamingos.
- Top Ten Fun Facts About Toilet Paper
Toilet paper is something we use every day, but how much do you know about it? You might be surprised at just how many fun facts there are to learn about it. See how many of these you already knew!
- Beautiful Spider Pictures and Fun Facts
I found some beautiful spider pictures and fun facts that I wanted to share with everyone. Enjoy!
- Top Ten Interesting and Fun Facts About Birds
Birds are among the most beautiful creatures on Earth. They're also some of the weirdest! Check out these crazy-but-true interesting and fun facts about our feathered friends...you'll be amazed!
- Sunshine - Random Fun Facts
Just when you thought you knew Sunshine in Orlando, she surprises you with some random fun, facts...