Flash Fiction : No end to Desires: Satisfaction is the key to Happiness!
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”
When you are discontent, you always want more, more, more. Your desire can never be satisfied. But when you practice contentment, you can say to yourself, 'Oh yes - I already have everything that I really need.'
It is much easier to suppress a first desire than to satisfy those that follow.
Learn to be pleased with everything; with wealth, so far as it makes us beneficial to others; with poverty, for not having much to care for, and with obscurity, for being unenvied.
All great thinkers and social reformers have insisted to adopt this philosophy in Life, whether it is Lord Buddha, Swami Vivekanand, Mahatma Gandhi and many more.
How I learnt a lesson of life from a little girl!
© Chitrangada Sharan July 2012
All Rights Reserved.
We need to learn,
how to want ,what we have NOT,
to have what we want,
in order to get steady and stable Happiness.
There are certain things, which cannot be learnt from textbooks.
Life is a teacher and off and on it makes us realize the complex facts by simple examples and observations.
How beautiful will it be to adopt the same teachings in our real life!
# The Simplicity Of Life #
- This is about a teenage girl, named Lakshmi. She used to work in the crop field along with her father, quite near to my home and she taught a very important lesson of life to me.
- A vibrant smile and clear bright eyes dazzled on her face.
- Though her dishevelled hair and shabby clothes defined her poverty. All through, she used to hum and sing in a low voice and enjoy her work.
- I was always attracted to her because I never ever saw her in a sad or depressed mood.
- I was curious to know more about her~~~.
- I used to wonder and observe her from a distance~~~!!
In a world, where, even if we have a house, we want another one, a bigger one.
If we have 10 or 20 pair of clothes, shoes, we still want more--the latest in fashion and perhaps more expensive than the previous one we purchased..
If you have a car, you still want a car---the more advanced and a bigger and costlier one.
The list is endless!!
### One Day ###
One day, I just called her to talk to her.
Her simple thoughts touched my heart.
I gave her some chocolates and one pair of clothes.
She was overjoyed and promised to wear them the next day and---SHE DID!!!
Singing and enjoying her work, she looked like an angel with her selfless smile.
### The Next Day ###
The very next day, I again peeked to see her, whether she was wearing her new dress.
No, SHE WAS NOT !!!
She was back into her old dress.
But the vibrant smile and bright eyes were the same---------!
I was a bit puzzled!!!
But this made me realise ---- 'There is no end to desire.'
### The Lesson ###
When I come to think about how many wishes do we have!!!
One wish is achieved and another one crops up.
Sometimes we tend to forget that we are not here forever.
Why does the accumulation of wealth becomes so important for us!!!!
I wonder, how those who do not have enough are still happy and more content.
The reason is so simple and clear------
Only those who have an innocent heart, like this young girl Can remain Happy!!
Satisfaction is the greatest wealth, which can lead to Happiness.
Why do we keep on treasuring our belongings, whereas ultimately all we have to do is to leave everything behind, but our 'Name.'— Chitrangada Sharan
Did you like the message of this story?
To Sum Up:
- Life's most important lessons are learnt, not in the text books but in real life, by real people.
- Just as in the above mentioned incident, when a little girl taught me an important lesson of life.
- Of course we read it in our textbooks, in our Holy books, but unless we experience it in reality if does not have an impact on our mind.
# There is No end to desires--Satisfaction is the key to Happiness!
# Make yourself such that there is nothing left to Desire!
© Chitrangada Sharan July 27, 2012
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Other Related Hubs By Chitrangada Sharan
- Flash Fiction: The Woman On The Mountain Top~A Respo...
I'm sure this hub will remind you of your honeymoon days especially if you had visited a hill station . What better way to start a long lasting, lifetime relationship other than the beauty of Nature!
- The Darjeeling Trip And The Mystery Of Those Mountai...
Raj and Priya were happy and excited about their holiday plan to Darjeeling. Little did they know that they were going to get the surprise of their lives there. ~~In response to billybuc's challenge
- So You Thought Money Can Buy Everything! Think Again...
When we reach a certain age like mine, we realize that the whole life has been spent upon earning money and spending even more money than we have earned. Can money buy love, happiness, health, peace
- Appreciate What You Have: Do Not Regret What You Don...
Last night, I had a conversation with 'God' in my dream. I asked him questions about problems of life.'He' advised me to appreciate'Life' , count what I have; not to complain about, what I don't have.
- Oh My Precious Life, Oh Dear! Please Move A Little S...
Life is not always certain. Act now, perform duties, fulfill desires, make amends with relationships as towards the end of your life, you may look back and realize that there was a lot you could do.
There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.
NO END TO DESIRES: source you tube
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan