- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- How to Write»
- How to Get Published
Not a Professional Author? You Can Still Write Articles for the Internet
Writing articles for the Internet can seem like a daunting task. What should I write about? Will anyone read it? Where do I publish it? These questions are simply answered by simply producing your first article. So how do you go about doing that? Here are a few easy tips for you to make sure you are producing quality article content and publishing it in the right place to make sure that it gets read!
- You don’t have to be a professionally trained author: If you think that you shouldn't be writing articles because you don’t have an English degree, well you are wrong. Anyone can produce great articles with quality content. To do this, you should use a program like Microsoft Word that contains auto formatting and a spell check features. These are useful to make sure that any simple spelling or formatting errors will be automatically corrected for you making your content look more professional and makes your article look more creditable. If you have simple spelling or formatting errors, your readers may stop reading your article even if it contains great content.
- Grammar, Grammar, Grammar: If you do write an article, make sure it contains correct grammar. It may seem like a simple idea but it can make or break and article. Let’s look at this a little deeper. If you write the sentence: “I is going to the movie”, technically it makes sense and your reader will know what you are talking about but it makes you sound uneducated and unprofessional. So correct grammar leads to creditability which leads to more readers for your article which is the main purpose of producing the article to begin with.
- Write about what you know: Writing about what you know about or passionate about seems like a no brainer, right? Well you’d be surprised at how many articles have poor content because the author is researching while writing. Your articles should be informative about the topic and you should write about it like you are an expert. Avoid phrases like “I think”, “It could”, “Perhaps”, unless you are giving your opinion. For example, “The dog is brown, I think”, is showing you may not be as knowledgeable you think you are. For this example, you should write the sentence either as “The dog is brown” or “I know the dog is brown.” So in essence, sound like you know what you are writing about (even if you really don’t) by using active language: “I know”, “For fact”, “Surely”.
- DON’T STEAL CONTENT!: Your article should be original and contain unique content that YOU produce. Stealing or spinning content is unethical and should be avoided. If you are using bits and pieces of another’s content, make sure to site where it came from and who it was produced by. For example, if you are using a description of bees from Wikipedia, make sure you say that it came from that source: “According to Wikipedia, bees are flying insects closely related to wasps and ants, and are known for their role in pollination and for producing honey and beeswax.” So in you can use already published content sparingly but make sure you site your source and do not use the entire article.
- Where to publish: You wrote an awesome article and now what do you do with it? Publish it! There are many great places online to publish your articles and all you really need to is to Google “Publish Article” and there will be multiple sites that come up where you publish your article for free. These sites let you link to your website to drive traffic from your article to your website if you do wish to do so.
- Understated Moments - Home
To read more articles by this author, visit her blog!