Online Book Store Website
Now a day and with the advancement in technology, everyone prefers to get the knowledge material just in time. It has become a trend and especially in those countries where literacy rate is high need some platform, which gives frequent knowledge sharing material. Online stores are popular nowadays. Our product filling the market gap by filling the opportunity of eBooks. Searching a relevant book from a pile of books is a challenging task. As authors and publishers are so many so managing their books on one platform with easy to access is a challenging one. In this project, we are solving this problem by providing an online bookstore, which is in range of every user independent of country distance, cast, color, and education level. One can access the relevant book just on a few clicks. Also in this product, we are providing a platform for authors and publishers to market their eBooks through global target users.
The purpose of this document is to provide the reader with abstract view, details and other deliverables of the online bookstore website. The identifications and brief details about the frontend, backend, database, and system design.
The scope of this online bookstore is to provide ease to readers and users to purchase e-books from a fully manageable and organized online library. The authors and publishers can market their products on this platform. Giving marketing opportunity and organization of pile of knowledgeable books with easy to use and comfortable platform makes this website unique from others.
Definitions, Acronyms, and Abbreviations
ISBN: International Standard Book Number.
In the initial section, there was an introduction to the product and this document. The second section provides details about the requirement analysis, problem statement, scope of the product and issues. The third section contains information about the system design, mock-up interfaces, database design and schema, data flow and system architecture. The fourth section contains a product project plan. The fifth section contains the conclusion. The sixth section contains the references.
As there are some websites already running and providing some ease in this market but there comes a lack of material and the organization of knowledgeable material is not so perfect. The current running websites are just focused on some niche market with limited users and target market. There is no platform, which is global and accepted by all range of users and readers. This is a major issue in this market, which is going to solve with this project. Some of the highlighted issues in the current market of eBook online stores listed below.
- No author and publisher profiles are available.
- The organization of book categories are not efficient.
- Targeting a specific and limited range of readers.
Our eBook online platform has some clear and straightforward objectives. Our product is online so it in reach of every person throughout the world. Searching a book needs no account creation. Author and publisher profiles will be managed so for the marketing of their eBooks through our platform. Our objective is to focus on general requirements for this store so to make it on some standards because our readers are global. Easy and quick response to reader searching queries. One can download the PDF version of the book or the reader can read the book online on our website.
Below are some of the basic requirements that are in consideration.
- The reader must have an active internet connection to access the website.
- If the user wants to purchase any book. A user account needed.
- To search for any book, the user must have to give some information about the author or region of interest.
- To read the book online, the user must have to access the website from popular browsers like google chrome, opera, firefox, etc.
The user browser must have an adobe reader plugin installed in the browser in order to read the book online.
- The user interface of the website will be responsive.
- The front end of the website must have at least one menu to navigate through different pages.
- The website must have buttons to share the website on social media like Facebook, Instagram, Gmail, WhatsApp, etc.
- The screen size of the website can adjust to multiple range of devices like mobile phones, tablets, desktop monitors etc.
- The font size of text of website content must be readable and not very large.
- The color and theme of the website must be consistent throughout the pages of the websites.
- The controls use in website must be touchable and responsive.
- Website must be robust.
- Website must follow the paradigm of WUSIWUG.
- Website backend and front development must be separated and can reusable.
- Website does not have redundant data.
- Website must give good sample for human computer interaction.
- Reader cannot pass irrelevant text through search textbox like code, scripts and html tags.
- No overlapped eBook category exist in the website.
- Reader cannot able to edit any book content.
- For user account registration, password must contains at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter and one at least one numeric number.
- For user sign in, user must authenticate and fill the CAPTCHA.
- The font size of the text of website content cannot bigger than 18 pixels.
- Each book will watermarked by the website company logo.
- No use of dark color in the background of any website page.
Description of the Proposed System
On our online bookstore, user can search the book by author name, publisher name, ISBN number, published date and by book category. User can purchase the book and can subscribe to our website news and updates. Authors and publishers can create there profiles and upload there books to market it to global users of this store. User can read the book online on the website or can download a PDF version of the book. User can filter the books based on their price tags and number of pages. The database of website must be secure and distribute among different servers. No duplication and redundancy in the book data. Each book must have to belong to some category based on its content. Website must rely on client-server architecture. The development of the complete must be modular. Each module must be separate and loosely coupled with each other.
Logical Model Design
Data Flow Diagram
Our purposed system of online bookstore has three types of user, which are using the website for different purposes. The Author can upload his books. Can see the uploaded books, manage and organize his books on the website. Same like the publisher can upload his published books on the website. Can see and manage his books. The website store these eBooks in the global database repository. The reader can search these eBooks through author name, publisher name or book title. Reader has two options on the website. Either he can read the eBook online on the website or he can purchase the downloadable version of the eBook in the form of PDF. Both three users can interact with the website irrespective to the location and time. No limitation on purchasing and uploading. The website interact with the Book Database 24/7 and provide the data to the users in a secure way and real time access.
The online bookstore website host on an online web-hosting server. The hosting server provide access to the website globally through a unique domain name of the website. The user request for the website pass to this web-hosting server and resend the requested page of the website to the user. The Book Store database host on the database server, which remain online 24/7. All the data and schema of the bookstore database reside here on the database server. The website fetch and update the database by interacting with the database through a secure channel at the backend. Users can access the website through multiple devices i.e. mobile phone, desktop PC, laptops etc.
Use Case Diagram
We have three external entities named as author, publisher and reader. All these users perform specific actions on the website. For each user, website provide different features and functionalities. Author and publisher can access the Update, show and delete books modules. Reader has no access to these modules as no concern with uploading the books. The reader can access search book feature. Purchase book and download a book. Reader has access to the feature to read the book online. All the three users has access to the sign in and sign up modules. Among all these features, website provides generic modules, which are independent of each other.
- Website show all the uploaded books by the author and publishers in a data grid.
- Website shows the search query result against each book to reader.
- Website shows the download link button when reader purchase any book.
- Website show the interface to upload and delete any book to authors and publishers.
- Websites shows the top rated books on the main page of the reader.
- Website shows the content of the book if reader want to read online.
- Authors, readers and publishers provide information to sign up and create there profiles on the website.
- Reader enter the author name, publisher name or book title in the search text box to search any book.
- Author upload the book by uploading a book in the upload book page.
- Database schema must optimize and books are categorize to get the real time data.
- The website front end must be simple to attain responsiveness.
- The database must be secure by authorized access.
- Website must develop in modular approach and each layer must be separate from another.
- Each user must have his own credentials to access the website.
- Strategies made by the vendor to attain the user information privacy.
- Terms and conditions must be accept by the user to use the website legally.
- The controls use in the website must properly license.
- Textboxes, data grids, buttons, image boxes, and labels must be responsive.
- The controls shape and size must be consistent.
- The controls must be robust.
- The controls must follow the website theme and skin color.
System and Database Design
The user interface has divided with respect to the user accessing the website. The author authorize pages cannot be accessed by the reader. Theme must be consistent throughout the website. User interface of the website must be responsive and robust. There must at least one navigation bar on the user interface in order to move back and forth on the website pages. Below are the mock up design of the user interface of important website pages.
- Sign Up page
- Sign In page
- Upload Book Page
- Delete book Page
- Home Page
- Purchase book page
- Read book online page
- Show books page
- Search result page
- Contact Us Page
- About us Page
This is the most important part of this system. As all the books and users, data is storing in the database. The database must be flexible and scalable to meet up the future requirements. The selection of the database technology is important. We are using Microsoft SQL Server database to organize and manage the books data. It will be relational database where the important information of the books and users store. Each table interacts with surrounding tables to store and manage the information in a right and flexible way. Design the schema in generic way by gathering most general information of this type of online bookstore helps to target the users globally. The data adding to the database must validate and strongly follow the data types and length. First, the user input is validate at front end. Then after retrieving the data at the back end of the website, just before storing the data it is validate.
Schema ERD Diagram
As per the project scope and use, we are using incremental model for project planning that starts from requirement gathering to fully deploy able product. System designing and development pass through different phases and after completion of each phase, it will go to the next development phase throughout the project plan. We are using MS project to validate the cost and timeline of each phase according to the deliverables of each phase. Below are the tasks with bounded period along with cost are high listed. Each task consider as a phase through which product development pass through.
With this requirements and feasible study of the product design and development, we conclude all the necessary specifications required for this product. The functional and non-functional requirements for the system is gathered and ready for the development phase. As per analyzing the requirements and target market, the objectives of the system is now clear and users of the system bound to use the system in the developed boundary. The database design and the techniques how to handle the global audience listed, sketched and market.
Ellison, G., & Ellison, S. F. (2018). Match quality, search, and the Internet market for used books (No. w24197). National Bureau of Economic Research.
Mu, Z., & Jiang, L. (2018, August). Online Bookstore Management System Based on Android. In 2018 International Conference on Virtual Reality and Intelligent Systems (ICVRIS) (pp. 498-500). IEEE.
Tarhini, A., Alalwan, A. A., Al-Qirim, N., & Algharabat, R. (2018). An analysis of the factors influencing the adoption of online shopping. International Journal of Technology Diffusion (IJTD), 9(3), 68-87.
Chang, J. W., Lee, M. C., & Wang, T. I. (2016). Integrating a semantic-based retrieval agent into case-based reasoning systems: A case study of an online bookstore. Computers in Industry, 78, 29-42.
Korfiatis, N., Rodríguez, D., & Sicilia, M. A. (2008, September). The impact of readability on the usefulness of online product reviews: a case study on an online bookstore. In World Summit on Knowledge Society (pp. 423-432). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.