Online writing tips for newbies - Part I
Things to know for new online writers starting out
- Make sure to find out all that you can, about the writers network you're going to be joining.
- Also make sure to check the online privacy information before choosing to join.
- When first joining any writers network online, be prepared for a steep learning curve there.
- If you're familiar with using a web browser, then this new transition from writing on paper and onto web portals for typing will be smooth. (Just look for tutorial guides if anything)
- If not, then you might need to take the time to get use to using a mouse, or your smart phones apps, and touch screen capabilities of tablets or other gadgets etc...
- Learning such things before hand will indeed save plenty of time.
- There's loads of things to learn, but by taking things one step at a time, you will begin to build a long lasting knowledge of what needs to be known, as well as done.
- Ignoring such wise and smart practices of good well balanced online writing skills, will actually hinder your progress for sure if anything.
Great informative books for writers
Earning income & Positioning
- There are differing means to make earnings happen online.
- Google has a location known as Adsense, where you need to generate a certain amount of web traffic to be accepted into their program.
- You can try using blogger (Google's blog writing platform) to start out with blog writing, it will help you draw in enough web traffic to your blogging locations, and as long as you keep writing and posting consistently with your best effort.
- Once approved your Adsense account will be ready for monetization (Activates online locations using Adsense for receiving monetary values and for earning income based on pay per click values of Google Ad's).
- You can sign up to affiliate networks such as Amazon, Ebay, and many others that are affiliated to that specific writers networking and publishing platform.
- Be sure to add all pertinent and accurate contact info about you for all verification purposes. (However, never place your social security number into any online writers network portals.)
- To remain anonymous is to also shut down your ability to earn anything there (So think wisely before submitting all pertinent info).
- You will also be required to create a unique user name, as well as password there.
- Networking online surprisingly also deals with creating a cool online profile, as well as personality behind it.
- In order for anyone to maximize their exposure potentials, the usage of such a unique user name shall be like creating a brand name, or trade name in business.
- So try to think of a truly unique name, to title your new user name before completing the sign up process of any network.
- This will solidify your initiation, and long term standing on the world wide web, both via mobile gadgets and viewed on all computing devices that are Internet ready.
- Adding a matching profile image to the unique user name, or your coolest self portrait to place into your new author profile has its long term benefits and powers of attraction. (Can be updated, modified, or changed anytime to reflect a new look)
- After doing all this, you will finally be somewhat prepared to begin your online writers voyage and quest to get your word powers known worldwide.
Using relevant images scores huge on the web, but make sure their original, or you can provide the link attribution back to such a web location you located it from, and also have permission to use it. | Source
Mastering the technicalities
- Learning how to access your desktop files is a primary importance as well.
- You will continuously need instant access to the Internet, and for a successful online writer and content curator, at all times of the night and day.
- Make sure you have a good Internet service provider, such as Verizon Fios.
- Cable Internet is also good, but keep in mind the faster your Internet speed the more reliable your networking capabilities shall be.
- Once you decide to open an account with any official online writers network such as Authora, Squidoo, Triond, Wordpress, Poetink, Hubpages etc...
- You shall be required to submit certain verifiable information.
- This info can either be of a personal nature or totally anonymous, and will require an email account to verify your info submitted, and for future communications with you.
- You need to think before providing your personal info there, and decide if your writings will either be for leisure/hobby or for potential earnings as a professional author of written and visual content.
- As an new author of the web you will also need to submit image files to help enhance the message and the overall quality of each web page that you're responsible for etching into existence.
- Learning to supply original content is a plus, and if not you will need to learn about the usage of Creative Commons web locations for legal image usage or public domain image usage, which both require link attribution back to the original owners website. (From places online like Wikimedia, and Flickr etc...)
- You will also need to learn how to position your images supplied to appeal to the online viewers, which takes some time to master placement around text areas.
Storage goes a long way
- Learn to use text editor programs such as; Microsoft word or Microsoft Office and any others that are suitable for editing, formatting and storing text files.(Get familiar with all the differing text file types: PDF, DOC, DOCX, TXT etc...)
- Save your writings frequently is a safe way to ensure you won't lose your work.
- This will be a wise decision made by you, due to the fact that online writing portals can have network issues, and so never depend on their locations for storage.
- Your text content needs to be backed up as well just in case something goes wrong, also your data needs to be stored and protected if your computing device malfunctions.
- Make sure to even have a double back up, such as an external hard drive. (External hard drives are computer hardware you can purchase at your local Bestbuy, RadioShack, Amazon, Newegg, or even E-bay.)
Hubpages introduction video for new writers
Useful articles loaded with tips for those writers new to hubpages
- Tips on How to increase hub traffic
How to improve your hubs traffic in some truly simple yet informative steps, showcasing how SEO works for us hubbers, and the usage of keywords, great titling, and other useful tips.
- How to share Hubs outside of hubpages and all the sh...
How to Share your Hubs outside of hubpages through many varying methods is all about helping people discover the ways to social sharing, social buttons & communicating on hubpages to other networks.
- What is Fan Mail on Hubpages, how does it benefit to...
Fan Mail is something on hubpages that can make or break a persons communications and following experiences if not done effectively, and so the purpose of this article is to address such a thing, and to bring more definition to it all as well as the
- Keywords alone, gets you at the bottom of a search e...
Keywords alone will not get you onto the search engines top results. There's much more work one must do on hubpages and beyond in terms of networking, content mastery, and more to get the SEO to work effectively.
- A false or true following on Hubpages
Fan following is something that's a huge factor online today, and due to social acceptance levels and sharing, but how does one tell if its true or false. read more...