- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- How to Write»
- How to Get Published
Publishing on Amazon-Indie Authors-Promotion and Things to Consider
Indie Self Publishing. What to Consider.
Dale J Ovenstone September 2013. This article will be updated regularly, please subscribe to this post and be informed.
Things to consider before, or after you self publish on Amazon:
Promoting your e-book, more simple ways to get an audience:
Congrats for taking the indie self authoring, route. To publish e-books on Amazon could become a very lucrative income indeed, especially as you add more books along the way. (Or you may even create that best seller.)
• You publish, then you wait for the sales: sometimes it will take quite a while for your book to be noticed online, so don’t despair, you do have to do more work to get more eyes to your e-book, (if you want a quicker audience.)
• You may have sold a few books, but still, no reviews yet: this is quite normal indeed. They should come eventually.
• Be prepared, and don’t be shocked. Some reviews can be very damning as well as positive. Readers are mainly expectant of good grammar, and spot on literature too as well as a good story line, and true facts as in self help.
• Reviewers to your works can be up or down, many aspects of the term 'troll' appear.
• Mainly, feedback/reviews (negative ones) are a good way of improving your writing before publishing next time, (or for the same book) as in the way hubpages will not promote your articles unless they are spot on. So a learning curve develops to make one a better writer/author (SO NEVER GIVE UP.) (And don’t take it personally either.)
• I find that creating novels take much longer than self help/instructional materials.
• Kindle/Createspace/Amazon allows you to upload new files to your book. (You can upload a new revised edition of your book.) (So what you publish online, is always editable, & not set in stone as an electronic file.)
• Of course, you have those sites like twitter/facebook/pinterest etc: Join up, add folk, and place a link to your book there.
• Articles about your book: write a review about your own book and place it upon sites like hubpages.
• Join the forums on Amazon, (and your books’ subject) and participate within the online community.
• Free/cheap business cards: and create some small posters, put your book details onto business cards/flyers (something like: search Amazon.com-book name-author name)
• Are you or your partner a bit of a character locally? Get around and get personal with folk offline. Hand them your card/flyer, talk to them and tell them they must at least take a look. Thank them & let them know they will be supporting a local/new, author.
• Create posters, (A4-Landscape) with your book cover upon, (treat your poster like a full wrap book cover. The front cover is on the right hand side of the poster, and the back/blurb, is on the left hand side of the poster as you look upon it.) Get them blown up to A3 size, laminate and place into your rear car windows, or the back side windows (not obstructing your view of driving of course.)
• Go to shops in your area; ask if they will display your posters please. (A small fee may apply but it’ll be worth it in the long run.)
• Put your poster onto your tee shirt, iron on transfer.
• Pay attention to reviews, don’t take heart of any negatives it’s all a learning curve to make one a better writer. (So keep learning.)
• Trolls, you will sense when someone is being unreasonable, & good reviewers will stand by the positive aspects of your book, maybe, even mention the bad review left by trolls, or sometimes, dare I say, haters. (Some reviews, bad, are also correct so please take note.) Contact Amazon if you think there is a question of doubt, or being unreasonable, they may do something about it.
Your book cover can be created in Microsoft Published, then saved as a JPEG file. (Ready to upload to Amazon, and for creating posters/leaflets/flyers etc:)
I also make book covers and graphics & book posters at a reasonable cost to help your book publishing get under way. Please let me know what you desire or any help you would like on book cover creations for Amazon.
Stay updated with this post. I am trying and testing regularly on Amazon, and will pass on all of my indie self publishing experiences to you.
Please, do add your experiences and ideas in the comment box below.
Dale J Ovenstone