- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Books & Novels
Scholastic BookFlix Helps Children Log into Reading Fun at Home or Library
Blending the old with the new and the fiction with the nonfiction is the idea behind Scholastic BookFlix.
Geared for children in preschool to third grade, BookFlix is an interactive, online reading program that pairs classic and current fiction stories by Weston Woods with related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic. Youngsters can come into any of the library's eight local branches or log on from their home computer and watch a video storybook.
They can then read an accompanying nonfiction eBook, which typically is on the same topic. There are a variety of interactive puzzles and games available afterward for children to test their knowledge about what they read.
Scholastic BookFlix encourages reading and reinforces early reading skills. It also introduces kids to a world of knowledge and exploration of topics they may never have read about if it weren't for these eBooks. The goals of this program are to increase reading fluency, develop a child's vocabulary and build reading comprehension skills.
How BookFlix Works
Scholastic BookFlix is very simple to use:
- Call up your local participating library's website either there or at home.
- Click on the BookFlix graphic under Library News and Events (this is a slideshow of events) or take this shortcut
- Enter your last name, library card number and PIN.
- Select a book category. Choose from: Animals and Nature, Earth and Sky, People and Places, Music and Rhythm, Family and Community or ABCs and 123s.
- Select a pair of books.
- Watch the fictional story video; you can activate the read along feature so your child can read the words being spoken
- Read the accompanying eBook; you can activate the narration feature that highlights the words as they are spoken. This also will highlight keywords and their definitions
Currently, there are about 95 pairs of books/eBooks available (roughly 25 Spanish pairs) for kids to watch/read including:
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom / Let's Have Fun with Alphabet Riddles
- Danny and the Dinosaur / Dinosaur Tracks
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears / A Garden Full of Sizes
- Good Night, Gorilla / Who Works at the Zoo?
- Harold and the Purple Crayon / Where Can Art Take You?
- Stars! Stars! Stars! / Looking Through a Telescope
- Too Many Tamales / Mis Comidas
BookFlix also offers a variety of educational games, author biographies and safe, age appropriate web links. Teachers can also get online at BookFlix to create lesson plans around the books.
For More Information
To learn more about BookFlix, check out Scholastic's website or call (800) SCHOLASTIC.