Spirits Sat As Mourners
He Perched On the Precipice Of Forever
Want To Join In The Fun?
He kick started the dark poem and invited others to add their segments. Here were the rules of engagement that Frank established:
- Follow the theme of the poem: Spirits Sat As Mourners.
- Different writers can add segments to the poem, like links in a chain. Each segment must be 10 lines or less.
- You can darken or lighten it gradually, but don't create a big difference in tone.
- You can continue adding pieces to the poem (like links in a chain) even if you already have added a link previously. However, you cannot follow your own link.
- In a second text box, explain your addition, who you are, and what changes you made to the poem.
- Dark photos are welcomed -- your own, if possible.
Read The List Of Contributions
Please ... go check out the original hubs for each author's tantalizing images, and read their explanations behind why they wrote what they did.
Following is roughly the order in which they links were published. If I've missed any, let me know! Enjoy!
- Frank Atanacio's Contribution
- Jodah's First Contribution
- Annart's Contribution
- Tobusiness' First Contribution
- Flourish Anyway's Contribution (current hub)
- Shyron E Shenko's Contribution
- The Examiner-1's Contribution
- AliciaC's Contribution
- Jodah's Second Contribution
- ToBusiness' Second Contribution
- Moms Secret's Contribution
- Jodah's Third Contribution
- The Examiner-1's Second Contribution
- The Examiner-1's Third Contribution
Spirits Sat as Mourners
As death grew,
The lights were dimmer,
As the darkness began to shimmer,
Eyes would glow
As the candles in back
And spirits sat as mourners
Massed together all in a row…
- by Frank Atanacio
But what is this
Rising before them?
Rebel spirit, breaking free,
in frightened eyes
clinging to life’s final spree.
‘Cept one spirit,
takes the soul to find the final key...
Oh, he had made his choice,
Lost his voice,
And now they had come to claim him.
Wearing solemn stares
With no earthly cares
And eager to collect their debt.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
Surrounded by those he could not trust
His bartered soul perched
On the precipice of Forever.
- by FlourishAnyway
He Looks Out On His Future
Will you join us in Frank's challenge?
Explanation For My Addition
My intent with this chain was to follow Annart and set the tone that the recently deceased's fate was cast in stone and nothing could save him now. Jo (aka Tobusiness) beat me to the punch with her excellent contribution!
Our poor sad soul had made an ill-fated deal with the dark side long ago, and now it is time to pay up. The evil spirits had patiently waited for him. They are his debt collectors, ready to carry him away. He now contemplates his future -- a long, vast future of regret symbolized by Death Valley. Will he go quietly or resist with all he has?
Time To Pay Up
© 2014 FlourishAnyway