- Books, Literature, and Writing
Story Idea, The Con AM Virus
Creative Writing from Idea to story
Creative Writing from the viewpoint of a Novice Writer
The ConAm Virus
Hub 1 Article 1
A Creative Writing Project from the viewpoint of a non professional writer Article 1
Old Fashioned Writing
The idea that was the inspiration for the creative writing project
This hub focuses on the process of taking an idea that might be the plot for an adventure in creative writing pursuing the making of a fiction novel.
This quest started with a idea that came from the theme of a hub of mine. It could end with another idea that this is an insane project. Perhaps it could be deemed as futile as performing surgery on oneself, without even having the barest of medical skills.
It began when I was trying to provide alternate solutions to our congressional gridlock. This was a political genre subject, and in no way associated with the elements of writing novels, or even a short story.
The idea that started this hub
What if I could take the theme of my hub and flesh it out into a fictional story. Now, that sounds interesting, and maybe even impressive, but I really have no idea how to make that spark into a bonfire of writing.
I could have started with a less formidable project like turning lead into gold. This idea could end as quickly as it flashed before my eyes. If nothing else, I hope that it will improve my Righting skills, and maybe even my spelling.
Details of the Idea
The idea involved how a change in the structure of the United States government that has been in place since 1791 could make a positive difference today. The key problem with the US government today is congress, and the structure of congress has not really changed since we became a real independent sovereign country.
- There are two big drawbacks in the current system.
- Ist is the power of the democrats and the republicans and how they create gridlocks.
- 2nd is the party that wins the seat in congress, also disenfranchises the voter of the losing candidate because the party doesn't support their goals
The solution for both of these drawbacks are to create a new structure for congress.
- This new structure would create equal representation for the Democrat, and Republican, and Independent Parties.
- The Independent parties today have no real impact in congress, but at least in the new system, their best party candidates will be represented in every seat in congress.
This is done using the Senate as an example by replacing the two senator per state structure, to a three senator per state structure. It would also replace the current methods change in party control due to the possibility of having both senators from the same party.
The new system would have an Independent senator, a democrat senator, and a republican senator. This increases, if not ensures that over ninety percent of the voters are being represented in every seat in the senate.
Now to the Creative Writing Project
At this point, the new structure has enough definition to make it an understandable theme for the novel, or story.
- It would be a documentary if it were just discussing the merits, and drawbacks of getting that system in place.
- It would be like a history book describing how the 16th Amendment got passed to enact the Federal Income Tax.
From history book to Novel
The foundation of the novel is the new paradigm for congress, but how that paradigm could be implemented would be the plot, but not using the straight forward governmental procedures, or even the more politically strategic methods used to pass the Income Tax Amendment.
- For starters, I don't think that the Income Tax Amendment helped the people, while the whole purpose of this plot is to help the people and the country get out from a gridlocked political party war.
The point is that it would be fought aggressively by the incumbents and both parties, along with the loyal party voters. So, maybe the plot will employ virus like methods that can be inserted into the current process, making small inroads to the final destination of a new paradigm.
When you look at this project in real time and in real life, it is a mission impossible. This is one of the reasons why I chose this very difficult project. Because, it will be fiction, we can use the art of writing to vault pass real life barriers. We can through the magic of the art of writing make the impossible, possible, at least on paper. Could that fiction be translated into a real life solution, maybe one chance out of the number of dollars in the national debt.
Possible Plots for the Novel
One of the first things that struck me about creating a plot for the novel is that it might be something very devious, and below the surface.
- what about making the change by creating a powerful group that wants to make this happen even though they did well under the current system.
- The group could include billionaires like Bill Gates, and Warren Buffet.
- It should also include former politicians that know how the system works. Unfortunately, it may also have to include some talented and expert legal minds.
- This is the age of technology, so we need the cyber experts to make anything happen today.
The players for the first chapter could be developed from the description in the previous paragraph. The first chapter could describe how this clandestine organization was formed, and why this project is important to them.
- Any other expert members needed for this organization could be generated from developing the details about this organization.
- Many more thoughts are popping up on the distant virtual horizon that could be included in the novel.
The novel not only has to make the organization a worthwhile one, we also have to develop some powerful characters of the George Washington, and James Bond caliber. The way that I see things at this point just based on the few things that have been discussed is that each new thought generates multitudes of possibilities for the story line development.
- I see virtual blocks containing these thoughts, and like a sculpture the block has to be chipped away into a recognizable work of art.
- I would create a list of items that appear in my mind, and using the brainstorming techniques of my engineering background, put them all down.
Questions that are needed to flesh out the details
Is the organization secret, semi secret, or out in the open?
- Where is the organization located? Is it a physical or cyber one.
- How do we organize them, and is their a top hierarchy?
- How do we relate to the characters, as a group, by individuals, by task or other?
- How long have they existed when the story starts?
- Have they formed their plan, or are they still developing tjeir strategy.
- Who will speak for the story? Is it a character narration, or several of the characters, or maybe even a spy, or infiltrator that is giving us the story.
These were just a few of the easy questions.
- I would like to at least develop the story line for the first chapter, the organization.
- Maybe give it a name?
Another plot thought just arrived on the outer synapses of my brain.
As this project would require new amendments to facilitate it, the first targets would be the states that would be the easiest to get on board. We haven't had a new amendment in forty years, so that would be an interesting process today.
is under the current system, a small number of congress controls most of congress. So one ploy would be to get leverage on these key players and have them do the heavy lifting. Of course with humans things change, so the leverage has to be dynamic and altered to prevent them from backing out.
That is it for now. See you soon in another hub, or maybe not!