- Books, Literature, and Writing»
THE STAGES OF HOMOSEXUAL DELIVERANCE
If I'm delivered from Homosexuality then why am I still struggling?
One of the major problems that most people face when coming out of homosexuality is a lack of understanding, specifically in the area of deliverance. You may have heard church folk say things such as, “Deliverance is now!” Or maybe you’ve been instructed, “Walk in your deliverance by faith.” Though the words sound good and there is some truth in them, they may not have helped you much. You may have thought to yourself, What does all this deliverance stuff really mean? I’m tempted more now than before I got saved! Does this mean I’m not truly delivered?These are questions that many people struggling with homosexuality ask.
Stage 1: Slave Mind-Set
Many people in the church today who are struggling with homosexuality are at this first stage of deliverance. In this initial stage, which occurs when they accept Christ, the blinders are removed from their eyes and the truth about homosexuality is revealed. However, though they receive salvation, they never move past this point into having a personal relationship with God. As a result, they are driven by emotional highs and not truly changed by the Word of God. When they’re sitting in a church service, they want to get out of homosexuality, but once they leave the church building, they have no fighting power and cannot resist temptation. They have no knowledge of the Word of God and thus no power. Driven by their flesh, they are not yet trained in how to let the Spirit of God lead them. These individuals haven’t yet understood that victory over homosexuality is not based on other people or their own strength, but on God’s strength alone.They really don’t understand that if they begin to desire God sincerely and seek Him, their lives will change.
Why You Need the Word
- If you study it consistently, it will change your mind-set.
- It contains the tools you need to defeat the enemy.
- You will grow spiritually from reading it.
- It contains the power to keep you.
- It will strengthen your spirit.
Stage 2: Moving Towards Victory
As the Word of God begins to take root in your heart, you will start to notice several things happening to you. The first thing is that you will be strengthened, and you will no longer feel like at any moment, if put in a tempting situation, you will fall. The truth will begin to open your eyes and free you from deception. Your experience with God will no longer be based on emotional highs, because the Word of God will stabilize you. You will want more of the God who redeemed you; you will want to know Him for yourself—not based on what the preacher or other Christians said or experienced.
From my own personal testimony, I can truthfully say that as I began to grow spiritually through the Word of God, I was better able to resist temptation from the enemy. I would awake early in the morning to spend time in prayer and meditation of the Word of God. As its truth began to penetrate my heart, my desire for this perversion began to die. I no longer wanted to be controlled by this sin. I began to realize that so many people are bound in homosexuality and unable to come out of it without the Lord’s power. Through studying the Word, I learned the true deception behind this sin. As a result, my faith started to grow, and I really believed that I could be strengthened. I quickly saw in the Word that nothing that people said in an effort to justify this sin lined up with the truth of Scripture. Proverbs 24:5 seemed so real to me: “A wise man is strong; yes, a man of knowledge increases strength.”
As the Word of God takes root in you, the second thing you will notice is that your flesh will start to die because your spirit is now leading you. The Spirit of God will begin to give you divine wisdom and instruction. Because you are connected to Him, He will safeguard you from snares and traps that you didn’t even know were coming. Your mind-set will shift from a slave mentality to faith in God to truly deliver you.
The third thing that will happen is that God—the God that you thought you met only on Sunday mornings at church—will now become real to you. You will meet Him for real, and you will begin to praise Him from a position of relationship—not out of duty, but because you have met Him for yourself and experienced His saving grace.
Stage 3: Walking in Authority
The more you stay connected to God, the more fruitful your life will become. You will find yourself anchored in Christ and unmovable in Him. No one will be able to convince you that salvation isn’t real and that it doesn’t work, because you will be a prime example of the evidence that it is indeed true. You will find yourself compelled to tell others about the true transformation that has happened in you. The Word will take root in your life, and you will be like the good seed described in Mark 4:20: “These are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred” (NKJV).
You will start to live in the clear understanding of who you are in Christ and the real authority that you possess through Him. Your prayer time and worship will begin to increase dramatically because you have seen the power and awesomeness of God and thirst for more of Him daily. You will look back and see how far you have come in the Lord, and you will gratefully declare, “To God be all the glory!”
In this stage, going to church will be only an extension of the fellowship with God that you enjoy daily in your own home. In the power and mercy of God, you will stand as tall as an imposing edifice, able to discern the snares of the enemy and to walk in the wisdom and direction of the Holy Spirit. God’s wisdom will give you strength, knowledge, counsel, and instruction on how to live a victorious life in Christ Jesus.
Five Misconceptions About Deliverance
- If your flesh feels weak, that means you’re not really delivered.
- You won’t ever have homosexual thoughts again.
- Once you get delivered, you no longer have to guard your heart.
- You don’t need an accountability partner any longer
- You can have close relationships with people living in homosexuality who are not ready to come out of it.
What Does Deliverance Really Mean?
- Deliverance means that you are no longer a slave to this bondage.
- You are now equipped with the power of the Holy Spirit to resist the temptation.
- You don’t ever have to fall in this area again.
- You have authority over the enemy. He can only trick you through your own ignorance about being free.
- The devil’s grip on you in this area has been broken forever.
- You have comprehension of the truth.
Why Aren’t More People Overcoming in This Area?
- They have no knowledge of who they are in Christ.
- They are being intimidated by the powers of darkness.
- Their slavery mind-set keeps them in bondage.
- They have not spent enough time in the Word to renew their minds.
- Fear of the unknown keeps them bound. Though they are not truly happy in this sin, some people are comfortable in it because they are familiar with it.
- The enemy has lied to them and made them believe they can never be totally free.
- Holding on to familiar people provides them with a false sense of security. It takes courage and determination to forsake everything in order to be free.