Ten Interesting Wives Tales
Wives Tales can be True or False
5 True Wives Tales
Newspapers Clean Windows
Peanut Butter Removes Gum
Use Aluminum Foil To Iron
Walnuts remove furniture scratches
Chicken Noodle Soup Fights Colds
10 Legendary Wives Tales
Wives Tales are sometimes true and sometimes just tall tales told by the older generation. All of the tales listed below, are tall tales and are completely untrue. Unless you believe them.
1. Yawn: If you cover your mouth when you yawn, it will prevent your soul from exiting your body. I have never heard this wives tale before now. At any rate, it is an interesting and often spread fib that has been tossed around loosely over the decades.
2. Hold breath while in a cemetery: The legend says, that if you pass a cemetery without holding your breath, the soul of a recently deceased person will enter you. If this was true, every time we passed a cemetery we would all be very afraid. In fact, we would never want to visit a cemetery. My grandmother lives next to a cemetery. If we really believed this, I could never visit her.
3. Mirror: If a mirror falls and breaks in the house, someone in the home will die soon. I personally know this to be false because I have had 2 mirrors fall and break and no one died during that period of time.
4. Don't cross your eyes or they will get stuck that way. This legend was invented by parents who got tired of their children making silly faces. If this tale were true, Jim Carey would have a serious problem! Plus, kids every where would have crossed eyes.
5. Reading in dim lights or sitting to close to the TV will damage your eyes. False. The only way you can truly damage your eyes by using them, is to stare directly into the sun for a prolonged period of time. My grandmother did warn us of this as well but, she was a little bit more blunt than it will damage your eyes. She just flat out told us that we would go blind.
6. After a person dies their fingernails and hair continue to grow: Incorrect. What actually happens is the skin retracts, giving the appearance that the nails are growing longer. There is actually no nail or hair growth after death.
7. 10 percent of our brains are actually used: This is not true because brain scans reveal that we use 100% of our brains each and every day. Our brains are used every day because, we always are thinking of something, we are just wired this weigh.
8. Cats steal sleeping people's breath: This is definitely not true because, cats have been sleeping with people for years. If it was true, then there would be a lot of dead cat owners. I did have my cat come and sit on my chest and get real close up to my nose and start breathing with me. Then a little tap of the paw would hit me in the face. Not hard at first but, if I didn't get up or acknowledge that she was there the soft pecks turn to feeling come claws.
9. Toads give warts: As the legend goes, if you touch a toad, you will get warts but, this is not true because a toad can't pass them along to you. Not to mention, I have touched plenty of toads in my lifetime and I have never gotten any warts.
10. Swallowing gum is harmful to the body: Actually, gum passes through the digestive system quickly and doesn't stay in the body. The gum doesn't actually break down in the digestive system.
I hope that this hub was enjoyable. It actually makes me want to take the time to sit down and talk to my grandmothers and ask them what wives tales they were told growing up. There's a lot of knowledge there that will be lost when they pass away. They are the only two grandparents that I have left and they have so much to give and so much to share. I hope that you will take the time to call or visit your grandparents if they are still living. Make them feel important. Don't make them feel like they are just old and have nothing to give or contribute to society. They are how we got to where we are today.
Since writing this
Be sure and check out the videos below they give a great deal of information about wives tales.
Old Wives Tales Books
A Long Time Ago........
Old wives tales can be true but, in most cases they are completely false. In general, a wives tale is folklore or an Urban Legend if you will, that is passed down from generation to generation by older women to younger women. Sometimes, they are just tale tales but, other times they just blow up the tale to prove a point or make you think about what you are doing. Each wives tale usually has a little bit of a hidden meaning. The wives tales were told to figure out the secret or what the wives' tale was trying to explain.
In the Bible: Even the Holy Bible makes mention of wives tales in the New Testament. In 1 Timothy 4:7, Paul, one of Jesus Christ's Apostles wrote this to Timothy: But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself unto godliness.
Reasons For Wives Tales: Mainly, wives tales were used for scaring children into behaving. Also, some people just have a flare for over the top storytelling which results in an old wives' tales.
There are many wives tales and they cover every end of the spectrum. Wives tales are about pregnancy, food, work, sleep, shaving, health, death and almost any other thing you can think of. At any rate, these mostly superstitious and often funny tales are just that. Tales, or better yet tall tales, which have been around ages and they are apart of the world's culture in a way. It scares me to think that with the passing of our older population we will lose these "tall tales."
Classic Old Wives Tales
Hubs on Books
- Book Review: Undisputed Truth By Mike Tyson
Former Heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson tells all in his book called Undisputed Truth. From Don King to Robin Givens, nothing is out of bounds. Pictures and commentary are listed here.
- Book Review: Allison Wetherbee's I Was Born This Way
This book is an autobiography of a lady I had the privilege of knowing and caring for. Allison's is the most inspiring person without even meaning to be. She faces obstacles each day but overcomes.
- Best Medical Home Remedies of All Time
This article discusses the top home remedies for everything from headaches to tooth aches. Pictures, you tube videos and commentary are featured in this article along with other facts and information.
- Holy Bible: What Do The Words Mean?
This religious hub describes the meanings of different words and items from the Holy Bible. Pictures, maps, you tube videos, polls and commentary are featured in is blog as well as other facts and information about this Christian Religion.
- Best Boxing Books of All Time
This blog features some of the top books on prizefighting ever written. Raging Bull, Fire and Fear and Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times are listed in this hub along with pictures and videos.
Have You Heard Any?
Have you ever heard any Wives Tales before?
Old Wives Tales about Food
Wives Tales about Pregnent Women
© 2013 Buster Johnson