- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing»
- Creative Writing»
- Humor Writing
The Alphabet of Humor: B is for Being Blunt
Laughing at the Blunt
There are certain people who just say it how it is. If they think you're fat, they'll tell you. If you're acting dumb, you'll know about it. And that bluntness can be funny.
While being blunt can be hilarious, it can also be perceived as very rude: "Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you worse advice."
Being blunt is common among people with a bit of a sarcastic attitude towards life and often is seen as impolite. However, it can be completely knee-slapping. The ability to point things out with distinct clarity and preciseness is as much an art as is a watercolor.
Tips for Using Sarcasm to be Blunt
- Be concise - "That's ugly" is much better than "Although you look nice, you could find a better looking pair of shoes".
- Be brutally honest - "I've never seen such a devastating piece of furniture in my life".
- Be creative - "If your nose was any longer, Pinocchio wouldn't stand out as much in a crowd".
- Keep a serious face - smiling or being friendly is for other types of humor, but not for bluntness.
- Move on - if you don't dwell on the quote it can have an even more powerful impact.
When to be Blunt
- With friends - to save them embarrassment.
- With strangers - you'll never see them again.
- With family - they have to love you.
- With enemies - Sarcasm and bluntness are the best humor for insulting.
- When wanting to attract women - check out A Flawless Way to Meet Women
Dangers of being Blunt
Being blunt has serious side-effects, including: loss of friendship, witty retorts, and potential physical harm. Although people find bluntness funny to a degree, overly blunt people often end up alone because few people enjoy being continually attacked by such rude behaviors.
I recommend that you use blunt comments sparingly. Sprinkling your conversation with them can be funny, while over saturation may lead to jerkiness. If you keep in mind that the point of humor is to make people laugh (so that they feel better about themselves), then you should be fine. If you use jokes for the sole purpose of making people feel bad about themselves, you're dumb.
Blunt humor is a great way to keep people from teasing you. If you feel like people might make fun of or joke about you too much, using some blunt comments (but make sure they're funny and not just mean) will give you a safe and entertaining way out of uncomfortable situations.
The general rule for using bluntness in humor is to keep it to issues that are trivial. Teasing people about something small, or being forthright about an insignificant issue, will be funny and enjoyable.
Add a little bluntness to your repertoire and let me know how it works out for you.