The Bible In Rhyme: Genesis Chapter 2
The next installation in my 'rhyming bible' series: The entire second chapter of Genesis converted to rhyming couplets. To start from chapter 1, click here.
Genesis Chapter 2
- The host, the earth, the heavens done
God thought the 6 days had been fun
- And as day seven came around
God rested, slept without a sound
- To make it right, he blessed that day
For all to rest from work, and pray
- And thus, the heavens and the earth
Began their great, yet humble birth
- Now ev'ry plant was waiting rain,
And man to tend and till the plain
- So god sent out a misty spray
Which watered all that very day
- Then with the dust, a man he formed;
And giving breath, his lungs he warmed
- Next came Eden, in the east
Where man could live and grow and feast
- And many trees within it grew
(The tree of good and evil, too)
- God ran a river o'er the floor
Which soon divided in to four
- The first - called Pison - stretched so bold
Across Havilah, the land of gold
- With gold so good, you'd think untrue;
Isbdellium also, onyx too
- The second - Gihor - sought for fame,
With Ethiopia its claim
- The third - Hiddekel - eastward bound
The fourth - Euphrates - flowed around
- So God took man, and placed him in
The garden, for to keep it trim
- And said "Please eat from every tree -
They're all as gifts to you from me...
- But the tree of knowledge, you must pass by...
For if you eat here, you will die"
- Now God thought... "Man looks lonely there...
All on his own, with naught nowhere"
- And so, he brought each beast around
And Adam named them, gave them sound
- With names for beasts and cattle tacked,
God saw that something there still lacked
- And so, in ways God only could
He took a rib and healed it good
- Then using this spare rib he'd took
God made a female (to clean and cook?)
- "I'll call her 'Woman'" Adam cried
"For she was made from my inside!"
- Then from that day, the story told
That each would one another hold
- (And if you peeked in, you would find
They had no clothes but did not mind)