- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Poems & Poetry
The Bible In Rhyme: Genesis Chapter 3
Imagine reading the entire bible condensed into verses of rhyming couplets... Well, here's genesis chapter three. To start from the beginning, click here.
Genesis Chapter Three
- The serpent - such a cunning beast,
Asked "is not all fruit to feast?"
- The woman answered "Snake, you see
We are to eat from every tree..
- But if we eat from this tree, why
We would be sure to fall and die"
- The snake replied (with glint in eye)
"Oh no, good woman - you won't die
- Instead, you shall become so wise
You'll know what's right and wrong - no lies"
- And so, to Adam she took two:
"A piece for me, a piece for you"
- But the knowledge gained from breaking oaths
Caused them to feel the need for clothes
- And hearing God from somewhere near
They hid themselves with utmost fear
- The voice of God called loud and clear
"Where art thou Adam? Can you hear?"
- And Adam said, "It wasn't right,
To be so naked in your sight!"
- To which God said "I think I see...
You've eaten fruit from off the tree?"
- "'Twas this here woman" Adam spake
"Who gave the fruit for to partake"
- So God turned to the woman, who
Replied "The snake - he told me to"
- So turning to where snakey lay,
God cursed and took its legs away
- Then said "Your head shall become bruised
By these vile tactics you have used"
- And to the woman: "On this earth,
I curse you now with childbirth"
- Then unto Adam: "Fruit from wife
Means you shall eat it all your life"
- And just to make him more forlorn
He caused the tree to bring forth thorn
- "And from the ground from which you came,
You'll go back there at end of game"
- Now as the mother of all life
The name of Eve was for his wife
- Then God gave clothes to them, of skin
To keep them covered, keep heat in
- And God declared "This fruit now had -
Adam knows of good and bad"
- To till the earth which lay around
God banished him from Eden's ground
- And placed a guard on Eastern track
To stop poor Adam going back