The Joy of Reading Print Books as Compared to e-Books : The World Book Fair, New Delhi
Who Says That People Don't Read Print Books Nowadays!
If you have a feeling that most of the people read only e-books nowadays, rather than print books, think again!!
The reason for saying this is the visit to The World Book Fair 2018, organised at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
The massive turnout of readers, of all age groups at the fair is an overwhelming sight. It is heartening to see youngsters, especially children taking keen interest in reading print books.
Children selecting their books from the book shelves with excitement and eagerness in their eyes, while flipping through the pages is a beautiful sight, worth watching.
While it cannot be denied that the traditional printed books are less preferred compared to e-books by the tech. savvy people these days. But I do believe that traditional books will never disappear completely.
World Book Fair 2018
The Good Old Days Of Reading Print Books!
I still remember with a pinch of nostalgia, when I used to collect my pocket money to buy the latest books and novels from the bookshops or magazine stands,
My most cherished plan after the completion of school or college examination was to read and engross myself in the World of my newly purchased books.
And I felt so proud to look at my collection of books , decorated in my well-kept book shelf.
Times Have Changed-----!
Like most people who enjoy reading, I have also switched to e-books and e-reading. I can choose and read from the abundant number of books written by many talented writers, from across the World.
That leads me to the next thought--Which is more preferred,
Print books or e-books?!
Print Books And e-Books!
If we want to compare the two, that is reading print books or e-books, we can see advantages and disadvantages in both of them.
- It is true that e-books are very convenient to read. One can buy directly from the cell phone, kindle or similar electronic device. One can purchase at any time of day or night and start reading at once.
- Whereas for print books you have to go to the bookshop, find it then purchase it.
- E-books are light in weight. They take up very little storage space in your electronic device. In fact one device can save and hold many e-books.
- When we are travelling, reading e-books is all the more easier and convenient. Since you can download many books and enjoy them without the trouble of carrying so much weight.
- Books that have been purchased online can easily be downloaded again in case you lose your e-book.
- Print books do not have this advantage.
- Another big advantage of e-books is that you can adjust the size of the printed words, that is fonts. This is very useful for those who have vision defects.
- As people get older, their vision is affected and while they may be keen readers but cannot read printed books due to this.
- This font adjustments is a great advantage of e-books as compared to paper books.
- One can also choose the ink colour as well as the light on the page.
- Another advantage is one can look up for the meaning of a word without leaving the book. One can also read related links or related stories at the same time.
- Some e-books are interactive. They include audios, videos etc. As such reading is enjoyable.
You Own Your Paper Books!
- Readers can access books in several common digital formats, but print books remain more popular among book lovers compared to either e-books or audio books.
- You own your Print books for life. The books you bought in your young age, school or college will still be yours and readable for several years and you can pass it on to the next generation.
- I am not sure about the e-books for the same purpose.
- Print books are better for your health. According to a medical research, reading a light-emitting e-book before bed can interfere with your ability to sleep and thus affects overall health.
Books have that strange quality, that being of the frailest and tenderest matter, they outlast brass, iron and marble.
– William Drummond, Bibliotheca Edinburgena Lectori
What do you prefer?
- Comparing the paper books and e-books seems to me like comparing a Classic movie to a new high tech. movie.
- Real book lovers would always have a soft corner for paper books.
- The magic of paper-- nothing like the feeling of reading through a page, then flipping over to the next one and the next and fanning through the pages.
- And how does the excitement increase as you notice that only few pages are left to read.
- Sitting in a room filled with books is a comfort in itself that no Kindle or E-Reader can offer.
- It is debatable and tough to decide which is better. While e-books offer practicality, convenience, the ability to store hundreds of books on a single device, an abundance of features such as a light and dictionary. But these very features are distractions and create room between the reader and the story within the book.
- Children and youngsters must be encouraged to read paper books in addition to e-books.
- Therefore we should own and read both print books as well as e-books considering the pros and cons of both.
The reading of books, what is it but conversing with the wisest men of all ages and all countries.
– Isaac Barrow