The Migraine (a Poem and List of Surprising Facts)
A kaleidoscope of colours
Crashing through my brain,
Like a million daggers,
Sharp and piercing pain.
I crush the pillow to my head
To suffocate the hurt.
A moan escapes my parched dry lips,
But I try to lie inert.
Maybe if I try to read?
No, that's a hopeless cause.
My head aches more, my eyes are fogged,
I drop the book and pause.
I can't lie still, I toss and turn,
Then stagger from my bed.
What the hell is wrong with me,
This throbbing in my head?
Possibly some soothing sounds
Will help to ease the pain.
Celtic Whispers starts to play
As I recline again.
My Florence Nightingale appears
With aspirin and green tea.
I close my eyes and drift away,
The pain replaced by dreams.
7 Surprising Facts about Migraines
- Migraines have been Linked to Suicide Risk: Studies have now linked migraines with an increased risk of attempted and even completed suicide.
- Your Medications Could be Making Migraines Worse: Too-frequent use of painkillers such as paracetamol can result in what's known as "medication-overuse headaches".
- Lightning and Migraine Can Strike Together: A study of migraine sufferers found that the risk of migraine increased significantly on days when there was lightning nearby.
- Migraines Can Lead to Other Serious Health Problems: People who get migraines have an increased risk of stroke and heart attack when compared with the general population.
- Sexual Activity Can Trigger Migraines: Intense physical exertion, including sexual activity, and sometimes even just arousal can actually cause a migraine.
- Migraines Can Be Worse on Windy Days: Researchers have found an increased risk of migraine on days preceding chinook winds and on days when the winds exceeded 23 miles an hour.
- A Drop in Stress Level Can Cause a Migraine: Research has found a 20% higher risk of migraines after someone's mood changed from sad or nervous to happy or relaxed due to a sudden drop in hormones.
Some Interesting Articles about Migraines
- Migraine Triggers| Cause of Migraine
Migraines could start due to changes in one’s sleep patterns or sudden excessive bouts of exercise, which jolt the body’s mechanisms. Know their triggers.
- Migraines link to refillable water bottles: 'Gender-bending' chemical in packaging may trigger the a
Bisphenol A (BPA) has already been linked to a range of heath problems including obesity, infertility and heart attacks.
12 Best Foods To Relieve Migraine
© 2014 John Hansen