The Top 3 Ultimate Rules Of Copywriting
Copywriting is one of the most demanding careers in the world. As you all know that advertisement is a key process in any business’s growth and success; copywriters are mainly responsible to achieve that much-desired goal of all the advertisement processes. It is their job to make their words sing, and urge the customers to order for the given products and services.
So, what does it take to write such a good copy? To indirectly motivate and encourage the readers, in order to generate sales?
There are many copywriting tips, advices, lessons, courses and tutorials out there – which you must consider if you are willing to excel in this career. I wrote this article to emphasize the needs of three basic, but the most fundamental rules of copywriting. Find out whether your copy is any good or not, by evaluating your content on the basis of these rules.
Rule No. 1: Write from the Readers’ Perspectives:
Always remember that you are writing the copy for your readers and audience, and not for your own. So you should always write a copy with this approach. Otherwise, the reader will feel left behind and ignored, and will eventually give up the reading. Some basic rules are:
1. Always write the copy in shorter sentences and paragraphs, along with the simpler versions of all the words. No one would like to ‘decode’ a messed up copy with no paragraphs and unbearably longer sentences.
2. Do not show-off yourself by incorporating dozens of fancy words and technical terminologies – always write from the readers’ perspectives.
3. Use the word ‘You’ as much as possible. Always keep in mind that the copy is about your reader, not for the writer. Mention and address your reader frequently, so as not to lose his attention.
It is important to understand that people love to read what is simple (unless one is looking for some incredible literary work, which no one obviously would, if he is reading a sales letter). If your page will be too complicated, your reader will eventually leave the page.
Rule No.2: Make Them Believe:
You are constantly pushing your readers to buy a certain product or service, but by the way, who the hell are you? Your readers will not believe your bragging, unless and until they feel safe and secure. It is very important to make them believe about what you are talking. Following are some tips on increasing your readers’ confidence in you:
1. Introduce yourself. It is quite obvious that you must be an expert, or a very experienced person of the field that you are talking about.
2. Past positive feedbacks and testimonials work very well in this regard.
3. Try to be honest. If you keep some things secret, you are more likely to lose your reader and his trust.
Great Reading Stuff At Incredible Rates!
Rule No.3: Incorporate the ‘Call of Action’:
Probably, the most important thing? Maybe!
Your primary goal to write a copy is to generate sales. Hence, to accomplish this goal, you must incorporate the ‘Call of Action’. Urge your reader to take action and order the products or services on offer. A powerful closing is considered as the second most important part of your copy; therefore, it should be dealt accordingly and with proper respect. Following are some rules about good call of action:
1. Place special time-limited offers and discounts etc. to create a sense of urgency in your readers’ mind. You must write your copy, assuming the fact that your reader – if he leaves the page now – will never come back to order the product. Therefore, make him act now.
2. State your product’s main benefit and advantage again in the closing paragraph. This will psychologically affect the reader, and he will at least consider your service once again.
3. Use powerful words, while you are incorporating the call of action, to indirectly persuade the reader to act upon.
The Bottom Line:
Copywriting may seem a very daunting and a difficult task, but with proper guidance and practice, you will gradually improve in it. As the sales figures will start to climb up, you will get to know that something has worked positively. I hope that the above guide – The Ultimate 3 Rules of Copywriting – will do the same wonder for you.