Why We Need to Get Immigration Right
We have an unique opportunity this year to finally address the problem of immigration in our country. This problem has been growing for the last 30 years. Under both Republican and Democratic administrations, we have failed to do the right thing. Now, in a new Trump administration, perhaps it is time we dealt with this once and for all.
- Jan. 2018
Why is this a problem? You can argue that it has been going on for decades. So far, we are benefiting from the influx of immigrants, and they are doing many jobs that Americans won’t do... The immigrants, mostly Mexican, but some from other parts of south America and the Carribean, are mostly hard working and law abiding people. What’s the problem?
We conservatives see this as a sovereignty issue and not a race issue. We are not against any particular group that wants to come here. They just need to follow our laws and do it legally. In fact, out country accept immigrants from all over the world to the tune of over one million per year.
Immigration control is something every nation engages in. They need to know who is coming here whether to work or for leisure. If for work, we need to determine if it is a skill that we need. It makes little sense to bring in people to compete with American citizens for work.
What Is A Country?
How do we identify ourselves? What makes us uniquely American? What is the common bond that binds us? In the words of Dr. Michael Savage, it is borders, language and culture. The first two are obvious, Culture is a hard one to define. What is an American culture? After all, we are a nation of immigrants, who came from all over Europe, and Asia and Africa, and South America. We assimilated into one common culture that included our Constitution and our way of life. Our values of freedom and liberty, equality and the pursuit of happiness are all part of the American experience. Our democracy is based on the people coming together and voting a governing body that serves the people. This is a new way of governing. We proclaimed that all men are created equal and endowed by our Creator with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...
It is true that many past immigrants came here not knowing our language, and then worked and raised a family and by the next generation, their children assimilated to our way of life. That is how it should be, an orderly transition and not losing their home culture. They are integrated into our melting pot of the unique American culture.
As part of that assimilation, the children learned our language, attended our public schools, and learned about our government and how they are to conduct themselves. We pledge allegiance to our flag, we vote in elections, and we go to war to defend our homeland and our Constitution. Those are all the things that bind us whether we are living in NY or California or Texas or Vermont...
This model of immigration was fine when we were still growing and a young nation. Today, we are not the same young country any more. We also have instituted many social programs that benefit our citizens as they move through life. Our social welfare system became the jewel of western society. From welfare, to food stamps to housing and childcare...medicaid... and disability, social security became integrated into our lives.
At the same time, we started a two tier system of workers. One that is legal and pays FICA and pay taxes...and one that is mostly illegal, cash based, and in the shadows. This is not good for both our country and for the illegals that are living in fear and being exploited.
What Will Happen If We Don’t Fix It?
The projections are clear. If we don’t do anything, we will find the hispanic population over take all other minorities. The Hispanic population is expected to reach about 106 million in 2050, about double what it is today, according to new U.S. Census Bureau population projections. This will affect our elections and a permanent Democratic majority for the foreseeable future. Perhaps that is the goal of democrats.
Moreover, our country will no longer have English as the spoken language. Our culture will no longer be the same. There are groups like La Raza. The National Council of La Raza (the Race) is not a civil rights organization, as its friends in the media describe it. Its real goals and objectives, as its name suggests, are those of a racial supremacy organization. And its actions, far more than its name underscore this point. They want to make part of California a part of Mexico. They claim it was their land originally and they want it back.
Some Hard Facts...
- There are over 100 sanctuary cities in the USA
- The federal prison has over 30% illegal immigrants population.
- The majority of low income workers are America Citizens...put to question the concept that these undocument immigrants are doing the jobs Americans won’t do.
- MS13 is a growing problem in some of our communities.
- Low income wages are kept low because of supply of unskilled labors.
- Some communicable diseases are entering our country via illegal immigrants.
- Hispanics are the fastest growing minority in the US
Canary In The Mine...
Here are a few signs that points the way. These are actual personal experiences I had over the years. These are indicators for things to come. Is this what we want for our nation’s future?
- A local town court has a Spanish translator on its staff. The town of Ossining NY has a permanent translator on its staff. All business conducted at the local court house has a Spanish translator, whether the defendent is hispanic or not.
- A money wire transfer business in the city of Peekskill has a policy of Spanish speaking only. All customers must speak Spanish or no service.
- A grand jury in NYC Federal court has 90% of the cases of people who are illegal aliens that are charged with crimes and who were deported numerous times.
- A main street in California where all the businesses has signs and bill boards in Chinese. You might as well be in downtown Taipei or Beijing.
- A local fast food joint in my town where all the employees behind the counter are Mexican immigrants.
- The main street in Mt. Kisco NY lined with immigrant day labors, waiting to be picked up to do house work.
- Elections ballots available in both English and Spanish.
Multi-Lingual Ballot Instructions
President Bill Clinton Was the First Trump on Illegal Immigration
What Are The Various Pieces?
- building the wall
- end chain Migration
- end the lottery program
- change the law that encourage anchor babies
- end catch and release policy
- track foreign visitor or student VISA that over stay their term
- end sactuary cities, by withdraw federal funds
- institute voter IDs to discourage non citizens from voting
- DACA should be addressed by Congress and laws passed to deal with these special cases
- institute a guest worker program for farmer workers
Charles Krauthammer on Building the wall
Immigration control is self preservation. All countries engage in it. It is the way we insure people who come over here are healthy and disease free. They are documented and we know who they are and why they are here. It is a way to control illegal activities such as drug trafficking. It is a way to keep out potential terrorists. All these are good things as Martha Stewart used to say.
The current debate on immigration should be had in full context. Let all Americans understand the long term consequences. If they choose to go down that path, make sure they understand what the end results will be.
Do you want a country that is bi-lingual? Do you want one party rule? Do you want the US Constitution undermined by other nations? Those are real possibilities if we don’t fix the current immigration problem.
© 2018 Jack Lee