- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Books & Novels
Work Life Balance - In 3 Easy Reads
1. The Rules of the Red Rubber Ball - Kevin Carroll
I had the honor of hearing Kevin Carroll speak during a National Sales Meeting early in my career. His unique perspective on the balance of work and play is a unique approach to the day to day challenge of incorporating what you love into what you do. The book is so impactful, I have sense provided a copy to every co-worker since! It is a fun, quirky short read published by ESPN Books and reads as a "Dr Seuss" for adults in the workforce.
"The Master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working of playing. To him, he's always doing both." - James Michener
This book encourages you to:
- Seek Out Encouragers
- Work Out Your Creative Muscle
- Prepare to Shine
- Speak Up
- Expect the Unexpected
- Maximize Your Day
You can follow Kevin at this link below (Be sure and check back frequently!)
- Kevin Carroll Katalyst
Kevin Carroll is the founder of Kevin Carroll Katalyst, LLC and the author of Rules of the Red Rubber Ball: Find and Sustain Your Life's Work.
2. Change Your Questions, Change Your Life - Marilee Adams, PHD
10 Powerful Tools For Life and Work - Discover the Power of Question Thinking
I have to be honest, I was given this book as a "please read before class" when I was attending a training session at work. At first I was not thrilled with the proposition of reading 185 pages on the benefit of inserting "questions" into your life. After reading this, I can not imagine my life without it. I use these techniques with those I work with, as well as with my family - especially my kids!
I love this review of the book as it explains what you will gain from reading:
"Marilee's writings are by far the most profound articulation of the power of the question that I've come across. It's true: we live in worlds our questions create." - David Cooperrider, PHD, Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Weatherhead School of Management, and coauthor of Appreciative Inquiry.
The book leads you through the following chapters - with content as thought provoking as their titles:
- Moment of Truth
- A Challenge Accepted
- The Choice Map
- We're All Recovering Judgers
- Kitchen Talk (I actually read this chapter first!)
- Switching Questions
- Seeing with New Eyes, Hearing with New Ears
- Learner Teams and Judger Teams
- When the Magic Works
- Q-Storming to the Rescue
- Amour! Amour!
- The Inquiring Leader
- Question Thinking: 10 Powerful Tools for Life and Work
3. The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
This book was given to me at church as part of a 40 day bible study. Again, I was not initially thrilled with the prospect of committing to 40 days of reading; however, once I began the book, I actually finished it in about 20! Work life balance for me includes how I work what I believe, into how I act and interact with those around me. This includes in the office, and at home and play.
"This is more than a book, it is a guide to a 40-day spiritual journey that will enable you to discover the answer to life's most important question: What on earth am I here for? By the end of this journey you will know God's purpose for your life and will understand the big picture - how all the pieces of your life fit together. Having this perspective will reduce your stress, simplify your decisions, increase your satisfaction, and, most important, prepare you for eternity." - Rick Warren
Topics this Christian Book Tackles:
- What On Earth Am I Here For? (What Drives Your Life, Life is a Temporary Assignment)
- Purpose #1: You Were Planned For God's Pleasure (What Makes God Smile)
- Purpose #2: You Were Formed for God's Family (What Matters Most, Cultivating Community)
- Purpose #3: You Were Created to Become Like Christ (Transformed By Truth, Transformed by Trouble, It Takes Time)
- Purpose #4: You Were Shaped for Serving God (Accepting Your Assignment, Using What God Gave You)
- Purpose #5: You Were Made for a Mission (Sharing your Life Message, Living with Purpose, Balancing Your Life)