- Books, Literature, and Writing
Works of Art
Writing can be difficult for people. I know from experience. I have been writing short stories and poetry since I was 11 years old. Sometimes, you get a good idea for a piece of writing and you don't have your computer or a piece of paper and pen to write it down. Later, when you do remember, you forget what you were going to write about, and the idea that you had doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore.
Tips to a good piece of writing include the following:
1. Proper grammar and punctuation. I used to tutor people in writing skills, and sometimes would be appalled at their work. It was very sad to see that college level students do not know proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.
2. If you are writing an essay or short story, know how to transition between paragraphs. I know it seems tough to do so, but it is always good to have a flowing piece of writing. It also makes it easier for other people to read.
3. ALWAYS cite your work if you have taken things from other people. In college, our professors always were particular about that. Whenever you take something from someone else's work, you need to cite, or reference from where you got that from. You wouldn't want someone stealing YOUR work would you? It's the same idea.
5. Use the spell check function on your computer if you are going to be typing out your work. This is very important. I can't tell you the number of times I have made spelling mistakes and NOT used spell check. It comes in very handy and I highly recommend it.
I hope I have helped you out in someways. Feel free to comment if you have anything else to add.