- Books, Literature, and Writing
Writing Prompts for Fall
What shall I write about? I have no idea. My muse has deserted me. I feel the urge to write, but I have no idea what my subject will be or how to go about it. I'm lost. There is nothing to inspire me.
That is not true at all! Inspiration is everywhere. It can be in a song, what is happening around you, or even your own past. A simple picture can become a writing prompt.
As fall comes upon up, let's look at some of the fall pictures and see what ideas for stories come to me.
An Autumn Trail
I see a pretty scene. I could easily imagine myself walking down this trail just enjoying the warmth of the sun and cool fall air. There would be a few birds still around. A deer might be startled off to my right. What a peaceful thought.
Now, is that really all that picture can tell?
- I find myself on this trail not knowing who I am or where I came from. I'm lost. I have to find someone. I have to get out of this deceptively peaceful scene.
- A man with his grown daughter are walking down the trail. They reminisce of times. This will be their last walk together as he passes away that evening.
- A child is playing here and he stumbles. Digging at the odd looking piece of wood sticking up, he discovers a chest. There is no telling what he finds in that chest.
- A family of deer live here. They struggle preparing for the winter and the new coyotes that have taken up residence.
What do you see in this picture? What could see happening here?
A Bridge Over Still Waters
I see another peaceful setting. How I wish I was there! Just walking over this bridge could be inspiring. There is so much potential here.
- A soldier proposes on this bridge before he is deployed.
- A mother of three is told on this bridge that her husband wants a divorce because he has found someone else.
- A child is last seen standing here throwing bread crumbs to the ducks. He cannot be found in the water. He is gone.
- A dead body is found every morning under this bridge. Where are they coming from? Is it murder or suicide?
- There is a glow deep in the water under the bridge that gets brighter under a harvest moon.
- All animals that live here are albino. No one knows why. Something strange scientifically is going on here.
What do you see here?
Raindrops on Leaves
I see fall leaves on the ground after a rain. It seems so refreshing. I can almost feel the chill in the air. But there could be more.
- Is it really fall? What if these leaves are here in the middle of summer? What caused them?
- A woman is walking in the woods and finds these leaves. She picks them up to use in decorating her home. Yet, they seem to bring about sadness. When she tosses them, someone else gets them and the same things happens.
- These leaves cover a ring that was lost. It is silver with black stones. Whose is it? Why is it here?
What could you pull from these leaves?
Look at any picture and see what you could come up with. It might be a children's story. Maybe it is a romance, a mystery, a paranormal, or a science fiction story. Maybe it could become autobiographical. It is almost limitless.
Challenge yourself. Find any picture on the internet and write a story. Write a poem. Write a song. Let your imagination go wild.
- Printable Writing Journal Ideas
Tons of creative writing topics for kids to practice their writing! Use for daily journal or writing lessons.
- Writing Prompts 101
Even if you are not a professional writer you probably already heard about writing prompts. They represent a very effective tool for any writing project, so it's a good idea to know how to use them.
- Creative Writing Prompts | WritersDigest.com
Get daily creative writing prompts for your short story, fiction or nonfiction novel, essay and more at WritersDigest.com.
- creative writing prompts . com ideas for writers
Creative Writing Prompts collection of writing prompts and story starters for writers. Come up with creative content for blogs and blog stories with the help of these creative writing ideas.