What are Riddles?
A riddle is a statement, or question, or phrase that has a veiled meaning.
A riddle is also a question that is worded in such a way as to require clever or unexpected thinking in order to find the answer. One of the most commonly used methods of setting a riddle is to use words with double meanings.
In order to be successful, a riddle needs someone to ask the question - or pose the riddle and another person or persons to accept the challenge.
Riddles are believed to have been used since before recorded history.
Riddles have become a type of guessing game involving wit and skill. In today's modern age, riddles are more like jokes, with questions that have a trick answer.
Riddles are mysteries to be solved.
Over the years, they seem to take on subtle and different forms.
In more recent times, Riddles usually take the form of jokes.
Riddles can also be put as puzzles to be solved.
Animal Riddles #1 to #5
Animal Riddles #4 to #6
4. What is it that a cat has that no other animal can have?
5. Why did the Grizzly catch cold?
- Because he went outside in his bear feet!
6. What is 3 stories high and moves through the jungle at 15 mph?
- A Giraffe on roller skates !
Animal Riddles #7 to #10
More Animal Related Riddles - numbers 11 to 15
11. What do you call a crying Camel?
- A Humpback Wail !
12. What did the Parrot say when he fell in love with a Duck?
- Polly want a Quacker !
13. Why are Elephants poor?
- Because they work for Peanuts!
14. Why does an Ostrich have such long legs?
- So their feet can touch the ground!
15. What do you get if you cross a Beetle and an Australian Dog?
- Dingo Star !
Riddles with Animals #16 to #20
16. What do you get if you cross a Beetle and an Australian Dog?
- Dingo Star !
17. What do you call a great dog detective?
- Sherlock Bones !
18. Which animal uses a nutcracker?
- A toothless Squirrel.
19. What do you give a sick bird?
- Tweetment !
20. In which river would you find lots of snakes?
- The Hiss-issippi!.
Riddles and learning.
Riddles are great fun and can be an excellent way for children to learn about words and vocabulary.
Riddles can demonstrate to a child that words can have more than one meaning. I have always found that sharing riddles and the fun and then sharing the thinking behind the riddle, goes down really well and leads to the kid being inspired to explore riddles further.
Even More Animal Riddles To Chuckle At #21 to #25
21. What has a horn, but does not honk?
- A Rhinoceros.
22. What kind of money do Polar Bears use?
- Ice Lolly !
23. What do you get if you cross a bear and a harp?
- A bear-faced lyre!
24. What fur do we get from a Tiger?
- As fur away as possible!
25. What is as big as an elephant, but doesn't weigh anything?
- An elephants shadow.
Riddles numbers 26 to 30
26. What type of food do you feed a racehorse?
- Fast Food !
27. What two keys cannot open any doors?
- Monkeys and Donkeys.
28. What illiness does a Bee suffer from if it visits too many flowers?
- High Bud Pressure!
29. What do you call a gorilla with a banana in both ears?
- Whatever you want. He can't hear you!.
30. What do you call a kitten drinking lemonade?
- A sourpuss!
Riddles 31 to 35
31. Can you spell mouse-trap with just three letters?
- C - A - T
32. What do you call a fish without an eye?
- A fsh.
33. What always sleeps with its shoes on?
- A horse!
34. How do you keep a noisy dog quiet?
- With Hush Puppies.
35. Which reptile can tell the time?
- A Grandfather Croc!
Animal Riddles 36 to 40
36. What do lazy dogs do for fun?
- Chase parked cars!
37. Why was the baby ant confused?
- All his uncles were ants!
38. How do you know peanuts are fattening?
- Have you ever seen a skinny elephant!
39. What can make an Octopus laugh?
- Ten Tickles! (tentacles)
40. What do you get when you cross a snowman with a wolf?
Why not take part in my poll?
I like riddles because........
Riddles numbers 41 to 45
41. What do you get if you cross a Squirrel with a Kangaroo?
- An animal that carries nuts in its pocket!
42. Why do Hummingbirds hum?
- Because they don't know the words!
43. Where Should You Never Take a Dog?
- To a Flea Market !
44. Why do Dragons sleep all day?
- Because they hunt knights !
45. What grows down when it grows up?
- A Goose!
Riddles #46 to #50
46. What do you get when you cross a Parrot and a Tiger?
- I don't know. But whatever it is, you had better listen carefully!
47. What do you get if you cross a spider and a rat?
- An aRATnid
48. What do Moths study at school?
49. Why did King Kong climb to the top of the Empire State Building?
- Because he was too big to fit in the lift!
50. What does a dog call his father?
- Paw !
Animal Riddles for you to solve.
Riddling Continues - #51 to #55
51. What animal has more lives than a cat?
- A Frog! He croaks every night.
52. What animal do you look like when you get into the bath?
- A little bear!
53. What do you call a bear with a hole in his middle?
- A polo bear!
54. What do you get when a chicken lays an egg on top of a barn?
- An egg roll !
55. What is the Worlds Greatest use for Cowhide?
- To hold cows together!
And There's More - #56 to #60
56. How Much is a Skunk Worth?
- One Scent !
57. What do you get if you cross a Beatle and an Australian Dog?
- Dingo Star !
58. What Do You Call a Deer with No Eyes?
- I have No Eye Deer !
59. What is a snakes favourite food?
- Hiss-tachio !
60. What is do you get if you cross a Cocker Spaniel, a Poodle and a Rooster?
- CockerPoodleDoo !
Animal Riddles numbers 61 to 65
61. What kind of can never needs a can-opener?
-a Pelican !
62. Where did the Tiger go when he lost his tail?
- a Re-tail Store !
63. When Do Ducks Fly Upside Down?
-When they Quack Up !
64. Why did the baseball team hire a Frog?
- The Frog never missed a Fly!
65. What bird can lift the heaviest weights?
- The Crane !
Animal Riddles #66 to 70
66. Why does a dog scratch itself?
- because no one else knows where it itches !
67. Why do Mice need oiling?
- Because they squeak !
68. What is the best year for a Kangaroo?
- a Leap Year !picture sourced from Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
69. What kind of Leopard has red spots?
- One who has measles !
70. What do Dogs and Trees have in common?
- Bark !
Riddles numbers 71 to 75
71. What is a Mosquitoes favourite sport?
- Skin Diving!
72. What birds are found in Portugal?
- Portu-geese !
73. Why do bees have sticky hair?
- Because they have honeycombs!
74. What is a foreign ant?
- Import - Ant !
75. What do Teddy Bears do in the rain?
- They get Wet !
Animal Riddles #76 to #80
76. What bird is eaten at every meal?
- A Swallow !
77. What's an insects favourite sport?
- Cricket !
78. What are Caterpillars afraid of?
- Doger - pillars !
79. What do you call a bird in the winter?
- Brrrr-d !
80. Why are Frogs always so happy?
- Because they eat what Bugs them !