First of all, starting freelancing is hard. Hard doesn't mean it can't be done. So this is what you need.
1. Create a good profile page for yourself
2. Put in all the information and a photo of yourself (to look good). Avoid those cartons as this is business world
3. Put in your past experience.
4. Now, build your reputation. How?
a - Apply low level job
b - Get about 1-3 low level job and ask the employer to give you feed back
5. Once completed every job, ask the employer if you can work full time for him.
This is how I got my permanent freelance job. Was paid very well for easy 400 words ezine article. So, yup this is how you do it.
Drop me a line if you need any help.