pagesvoice profile image 82

Do you understand poetry?

Am I the only one who has a difficult time understanding poetry? I try to get the hidden meanings of words and phrases, but alas, many times I am left scratching my head. While I do read and comment on poems, I also find many that are hard to get through. Is that the nature of the beast or is it just me? I must confess, I am not a poet and I marvel at those who have and express that talent.

Jewels profile image81

Best Answer Jewels says

• pagesvoice profile image

Dennis L. Page (pagesvoice) 5 years ago

I love the analogy you gave between fine art and wine. I appreciate art, yet when it comes to wine I am clueless about swirling and sniffing it, nor do I know what a full body wine is. However, I will still have a glass. LOL

mary615 profile image95

Mary Hyatt (mary615) says

• pagesvoice profile image

Dennis L. Page (pagesvoice) 5 years ago

When you wrote, "they go right over my head," I started laughing because that is exactly how I feel. Don't get me wrong, many poems I feel the meaning, but many more I'm lost.

destiny17 profile image77

Karen Beth (destiny17) says

• pagesvoice profile image

Dennis L. Page (pagesvoice) 5 years ago

"If it touches you then you can relate to the poem you are reading." I get that comment, yet somehow I usually feel as though I am too shallow or not well versed enough to understand the real meaning.

msorensson profile image62

msorensson says

• pagesvoice profile image

Dennis L. Page (pagesvoice) 5 years ago

Thank you for your explanation. For me, I can write a paragraph in a story and weave a pattern that you speak of above. However, for me to do the same thing in the form of a poem...well, needless to say, I am hopelessly lost.

Eric Calderwood profile image83

Eric Calderwood says