KarlawithaK profile image 71

Am I the only woman who didn't like 50 Shades of Grey?

I read the first book, and barely made it through. Between the constant references to how "hot" Grey is and the overuse of the word "clamber," I became annoyed about half way through. I will give the author credit though, she wrote a character most of us would love to step into. A struggling, unsure, twenty-something year old, who is also not incredibly attractive. Who among us hasn't felt that way? Of course the idea of a gorgeous, rich man that "rescues" us sounds great. Ok, enough of my rant. The sex scenes are great and the only reason I made it through the first book.

• KarlawithaK profile image

KarlawithaK 4 years ago

I couldn't agree more! I loved the Hunger Games trilogy and hated when people compared it to Twilight. There definitely seems to be a formula for profit at work.

Ms Chievous profile image81

Tina (Ms Chievous) says

• KarlawithaK profile image

KarlawithaK 4 years ago

Considering your profession, I am sure it's hard to NOT analyze his character! I'm sure feminists have a field day with this book, for a variety of reasons. It's interesting to think about how we would've handled that situation then vs now.

Uninvited Writer profile image81

Susan Keeping (Uninvited Writer) says

eleanor-says profile image60

eleanor-says says

• KarlawithaK profile image

KarlawithaK 4 years ago

It's hard to know if it's worth your time. I've read books that were far from literary masterpieces because of the entertainment factor. It's easy to follow, and reminds me of a chick lit meets romance novel. My advice is to borrow it, don't buy. =)