jlpark profile image 91

Difficult scenes, how do you go about writing these?

I'm in the middle of a difficult scene in my novel, that apparently deals with rape, and self harm , in a young adult fashion (eg, not for children, but not quite an adults novel). Apparently in that I can remove it, and allude to it in the story without the explanation, but I feel that the character needs the opportunity to explain. What I'm finding difficult is I don't want to trigger anyone off with it. I realise that would be a sign of good writing, but I think that would be mean as well. Tell me, how do you deal with writing a difficult scene?

Best Answer Peeples says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

Peeples - thanks, I'll take that on board.

VeronicaInspires says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

Thanks, Veronica. I want to make sure I give her an accurate portrayal, as it does affect how she reacts to some people. But it's not all that made her who she is, or who she was. Funnily enough it's more about how her friend reacts to the news

Old Empresario says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 4 years ago

Great advice. Thanks