Billie Kelpin profile image 93

What lines of poetry, speeches, etc. are you proud of knowing by heart?

My mother was a bit eccentric. She would lie with me on the Murphy bed in the living room of our apt.with a bottle of Schlitz beer,saltine crackers, and Thuringer salami. After the "Honeymooners" left the "air waves" and the test pattern would come on with the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background, my mother would recite, from memory, passages from Tennyson, Kipling, and other poems she loved. I, therefore, grew to love the sound of words. I can recite the "Gettysburg Address" by heart as many people can and wonder which passages or poems you're proud of having memorized as well.

Stephanie Henkel profile image100

Stephanie Henkel says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Cute! I heard along the way somewhere that nursery rhymes had several functions, one of which was to spread political ideas that wouldn't be acceted otherwise. I think that would be a fantastic hub. I have MLK's Dream fill in blank on my website.

Laura Schneider profile image93

Laura Schneider says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

This is so much fun! So I tried to find that line from Shakespeare and can't. Let me know if you run across it; it sounds lovely. I drive my husband crazy with "Sleep, sleep, innocent sleep..." but I ADORE the metaphors in that passage! THANK YOU!

LauraGT profile image89

LauraGT says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

This is SO cute. My mom would recite one with that same humor. It was about a bird who left his bird wife, "Phoebe" 'cuz she cleaned the tree too much "and soon she was finding it terribly urgent to scrub every knothole with knothole detergent."

Imogen French profile image90

Imogen French says

• extranotes profile image

extranotes 4 years ago

lol... I just posted (a minute ago) that I liked the same poem: Jabberwocky.

PurvisBobbi44 profile image91

PurvisBobbi44 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Whoo Hoo! I can't stop from smiling at the responses to this question. I'm enjoying this sooo much! PLUS, it's providing a resource for all the poems I wanted to learn, but didn't! Thanks PB, I love that poem

multiculturalsoul profile image85

JJ Murray (multiculturalsoul) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

How wonderful to have Shakespeare's words playing in your head so often - how wonderful to have TAUGHT Shakespeare. One of my favorites is "The quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as a gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath." Cheers

rgalloway56 profile image86

Rhonda Darlene Lucas (rgalloway56) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Oh my goodness! I only can get to establish justice. I'd going to make a fill-in-the-blank exercise of this on our website. Eighth grade seems to be a year memorizing for me too! Thanks for your response. All of these make me smile!

recappers delight profile image88

recappers delight says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

You picked 2 of my FAVORITES! Mercy, and the Beatitudes. Haven't read Love Song of J.A.P for 42 yrs. Glanced at it now. Know what popped into my head? L Cohen's Hallelujah verse: "Even though it all went wrong...I'll stand before the lord of song.."

starsofeight profile image61

Daniel L. Herring (starsofeight) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Ah ha, my mom would recite that to me and scare me out of my wits! Again, I'm going to save this and try to remember the poems people posted! Thank you, Starsofeight!

ExEl6 profile image60

ExEl6 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

ExE16, Thank you! I looked up that reference. If it's the right one, it's beautiful ..."the death-knell of all...persecutions with the sword or with the pen, and of all uncharitable feelings between persons wending their way to the same goal."

MissJamieD profile image76

MissJamieD says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

I'm so old, Miss JamieD that I remember saying it in school BEFORE they added the "under God." The nuns were sure delighted that it was added officially (according to wikipedia) on June 14, 1954 :) Thanks so much for your response.

extranotes profile image76

extranotes says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

ah, I'll have to check your hubs to see what kind of auditions. My daughter is in LA - was on Broadway Touring Show of Mamma Mia, but is now thrown in with the million and five actors and no work :)

misc-disc profile image60

misc-disc says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

lovely! There's something very poignant about "We pray for one last landing..." Another actor? I'll check out your profile. Thanks so muc h. I think I'll go and rest my eyes on the fleecy skies now.

Isaac White profile image60

TDM (Isaac White) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

a counselor comforted me very much one time with the phrase "you're walking through a tunnel right now." It gave me hope that I'd walk out and I did! At first I didn't notice I was out and then one evening I thought, "I didn't cry once today!"

oceansider says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

The Bible comforts many people. I love the Beatitudes. Thanks so much Oceansider!