Ceres Schwarz profile image 22

If you are writing stories / novels, is it better to write in chronological order or out of order?

Chronological order - chapter by chapter, scene by scene. Out of order - chapter 8, chapter 1, chapter 20, etc. Which is the better method? And what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of these methods? Also, which method do you think will get you to finish writing a story faster?

PegCole17 profile image98

Peg Cole (PegCole17) says

• Ceres Schwarz profile image

Ceres Schwarz 4 years ago

I've never heard of the book you mentioned. I'll have to check it out. I guess it does depend on the person but just wondering what might work best or if there are other alternatives that might be better to try or to consider.

alancaster149 profile image84

Alan R Lancaster (alancaster149) says

• Ceres Schwarz profile image

Ceres Schwarz 4 years ago

Those are interesting types of stories that can be tricky to execute well. But I was wondering more on if you're still just writing your story and you only have a draft but will now try to write it fully, is it better to write it in or out of order?

• Ceres Schwarz profile image

Ceres Schwarz 4 years ago

I like to write chronologically too but sometimes I find myself stuck in a chapter. I wonder about writing out of order but I'm concerned that the scenes would be hard to connect, might not fit together & story might not flow well. What do you th

• Ceres Schwarz profile image

Ceres Schwarz 4 years ago

I know what you mean about getting stuck in a chapter. But my concern in writing out of order is that it might be hard to connect scenes together and it might not flow well with the rest of the story so I wanted to know what others thought of this.

nochance profile image92

Chloe Davis Smith (nochance) says

MickS profile image73

MickS says

• Ceres Schwarz profile image

Ceres Schwarz 4 years ago

Yes, it would be bad not to write down a rough draft of a scene that might happen later on in your story because you might forget. But if you already have a draft and you're now writing your story, will you still be writing in or out of order?

Subrisus profile image58

Subrisus says

• Ceres Schwarz profile image

Ceres Schwarz 4 years ago

Good points. Writing out of order might help with writer's block but you don't think doing so might disrupt the flow of the story & cause the scenes to not fit well together? Guess the best way to finish is write but writer's block can be a probl

Witching profile image60

Witching says