In your opinion, in writing, how professional or not is it, do you believe, when a writer . . .

In your opinion, in writing, how professional or not is it when a writer (even if angry for whatever reason that day) published a work that contains profanity and calls certain persons idiots? In other words, although there is freedom of speech to write what one thinks, but in your opinion, does it harm that writer's future, in maybe revealing a low IQ, when it is that true writers can write and make a such a point without lowering his/her standards to the point of name calling and profanity, thereby affecting that writer's reputation being called into question?

gmwilliams profile image82

Best Answer Grace Marguerite Williams (gmwilliams) says

gmwilliams, Wow, I am so thrilled you have taken the time to answer this question in such an insightful and intelligent manner! I agree with your every word here. That image really brings it home!!! Enough said. Well, no need for any more answers.

Hi ChristinS, I agree totally here. Yes, we are all free to write about what we choose to write about, but just to blantantly use unprofessional language (unless in a script for a movie), but in an article just reflects badly on the writer.

rose-the planner profile image86

rose-the planner says

Hi rose-the planner, yes, I am all for expressing one's emotions but to attack others when it is not even pertinent to the article, as you state, does irreparable damage to the writer of such. Once it is in print . ..

TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92

TIMETRAVELER2 says

Hi TIMETRAVELER2, Yes, that is what concerned me the most, is that the writer does not realize his or her reputation is damaged in the field of writing, if it was not script for a movie or anything of the such. Thanks for the great answer! I agree.

Rochelle Frank profile image89

Rochelle Frank says

Hi Rochelle Frank, thanks so much for answering here! It is good you are patient and understand the why behind the language. Here, I am speaking as relates to an article, for example, "How to get out of debt" ,not creative writing or poetry,

suzettenaples profile image89

Suzette Walker (suzettenaples) says

Hi suzzette, no, on censorship for sure, but I am trying to understand why a writer, just for no other reason than having a bad day, apparantely would bash others when it is not even pertinent to the article written? I am not for censorship at all.

DrRebeccaSanders profile image86

Dr. Rebecca Sanders (DrRebeccaSanders) says

Hi DrRebeccaSanders, thank you so much for your insightful comment here. Yes, that is exactly what it seems to me...highly unprofessional and really does not get your point across! I appreciate the great comment here.

Have a lovely Sunday.

SavannahEve profile image86

SavannahEve says

Hello SavannahEve, thanks for answering! Yes, of course when writing poetry or a script, one must portray the true character of an individual, but when writing a non-fiction article about a subject, then to just interject such profanity or insults?

Wow, tsmog, thanks for the most insightful answer here! I am all for a writer stating his or her views for sure, as I know I love to state mine, but when there appears to be no reason to attack, i.e., those who write recipe hubs, wasn't relevant.

Tony DeLorger profile image84

Tony DeLorger says

Hi Tony, I totally agree, 100%. It is, as you state, shooting yourself in the foot, and harms your reputation as a writer, when that may be the field in which you wish to work, and any future offers, may not be accepted if this is known. Excellent!

Kiwi Max profile image82

Max Zvyagintsev (Kiwi Max) says

Hi Kiwi Max, thanks so much for answering. Yes, in a non-fiction article to just include unrelated insults to unrelated group of persons that are unrelated to the topic of the article just does not make any sense, at least to me!

Borsia profile image62

Borsia says

Hi Borsia, totally agree in such writings as you have indicated here. I am referring to for example an article on how to sell something and doing such. Thanks for answering!