ocfireflies profile image 79

Do you challenge yourself as a writer? If so, what have you learned from your experiences?

I tried writing a piece from the opposite sex's point-of-view. I was warned ahead of time that I should not do so-stick to what I know. The feedback was mixed. The HP# dropped. Still, I found the exercise to be interesting and challenging. What I mainly learned from the experience was that it is difficult to write from the opposite sex's point-of-view, but it was also lots of fun. And that I am proud that I was willing to at least give it a try.

sallybea profile image97

Sally Gulbrandsen (sallybea) says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 3 years ago

Let me clarify the "mixed" comment. As soon as I received the first comment, my HP# dropped after staying the same forever--which is what made me think-"mixed." Thanx for understanding my goal was to challenge myself. May we all cont. to explore.

billybuc profile image85

Bill Holland (billybuc) says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 3 years ago

Bill,

"I crack the whip and then rush around to receive the blow." CLASSIC!

How I can relate. I do not know that I am as confident about my potential; however, I will keep trying and do hope to see my work improve. I'll keep practicing! Thank U!

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 3 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I consider most of my work to be really awful. There are only few pieces I really feel that great about. And there are lots I have written and kept to myself which I agree helps to free one up. Thanx

suzettenaples profile image88

Suzette Walker (suzettenaples) says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 3 years ago

Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. Coming from one I admire so much makes your support even more appreciated. I only know how to be me. I enjoy the challenge of trying new forms. Plus, writing for me is therapy. Blessings to you

jhamann profile image86

Jamie Lee Hamann (jhamann) says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 3 years ago

I enjoy listening to Billie Collins. To be such a celebrated & contemporary poet, his take on the process is very down to earth. He strikes me as the sort of poet who would encourage experimentation. It's hard, but to try is worth one's time.

Jackie Lynnley profile image80

Jackie Lynnley says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 3 years ago

Jackie,

You have accomplished more in four years than I have in forever. What is the name of your eBook and poetry book? I would love to feel that "You did it!" feeling. And your secret is safe with me. Smiles. Thanks for responding. Love, Kim

mayu patel says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 3 years ago

I applaud your enthusiasm and self-confidence. I know I will keep trying to improve, but I am not as confident about how much I should expect to achieve.

Thanks for responding.

Authorkat profile image61

Kathryn S. Carrington (Authorkat) says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 3 years ago

Authorkat,

Thanks for responding. You are an inspiration. I think it is important to grow as a person and a writer. I like that you encourage us to develop and in a positive light.