BlossomSB profile image 94

Does anyone else use the word, 'tifling'? If so, why can't I find it in any dictionaries?

I wanted to use the word 'tifling' in something I was writing, but it came up underlined, so looked it up in online and hard copy dictionaries and could not find it. Is it a word that just our family uses? It could be a word used by my Cornish grandmother or Old English with the -ling suffix, as in duckling, etc. Does anyone else use this word? Whenever I write it here, it is automatically changed to 'rifling' which has a totally different meaning!

Best Answer mbuggieh says

• BlossomSB profile image

Bronwen Scott-Branagan (BlossomSB) 3 years ago

Oh, Wow! So it is Cornish! And I'm third generation Australian. Interesting how some words linger. I thought everyone used it! Thank you.

Jodah profile image90

John Hansen (Jodah) says

Jackie Lynnley profile image92

Jackie Lynnley says

annart profile image84

Ann Carr (annart) says

RTalloni profile image89

RTalloni says

• BlossomSB profile image

I wanted to use it in a hub, so I left it out in the end, but to me (and my family) it is so meaningful. Thank you for your reply.

alancaster149 profile image83

Alan R Lancaster (alancaster149) says

• BlossomSB profile image

Well, it is about something trifling, but it's not the same. I had no idea that piddling came from the north of England. I looked it up and it comes from the Norwegian - so it may have been in the language for a long time, probably from the Vikings.

CrisSp profile image85

CrisSp says

• BlossomSB profile image

No. I hadn't heard of that, but it came up when I tried the online dictionary.

RobinClay says