BlossomSB profile image 90

Does anyone else use the word, 'tifling'? If so, why can't I find it in any dictionaries?

I wanted to use the word 'tifling' in something I was writing, but it came up underlined, so looked it up in online and hard copy dictionaries and could not find it. Is it a word that just our family uses? It could be a word used by my Cornish grandmother or Old English with the -ling suffix, as in duckling, etc. Does anyone else use this word? Whenever I write it here, it is automatically changed to 'rifling' which has a totally different meaning!

Best Answer mbuggieh says

• BlossomSB profile image

Bronwen Scott-Branagan (BlossomSB) 2 years ago

Oh, Wow! So it is Cornish! And I'm third generation Australian. Interesting how some words linger. I thought everyone used it! Thank you.

CrisSp profile image84

CrisSp says

• BlossomSB profile image

No. I hadn't heard of that, but it came up when I tried the online dictionary.

annart profile image87

Ann Carr (annart) says

RTalloni profile image87

RTalloni says

• BlossomSB profile image

I wanted to use it in a hub, so I left it out in the end, but to me (and my family) it is so meaningful. Thank you for your reply.

alancaster149 profile image86

Alan Robert Lancaster (alancaster149) says

• BlossomSB profile image

Well, it is about something trifling, but it's not the same. I had no idea that piddling came from the north of England. I looked it up and it comes from the Norwegian - so it may have been in the language for a long time, probably from the Vikings.

Jodah profile image86

John Hansen (Jodah) says

Jackie Lynnley profile image74

Jackie Lynnley says

RobinClay says