ThompsonPen profile image 84

How does one edit poetry?

I have found myself I a position where I need to write a poem. I used to write poetry when I was in highschool (the horrendously bad stuff, mind you), and was of the very stuff opinion that a poem must be written when the emotion grips you and must not be touched after. However, some ten years down the line I find myself involved in a poem and abandoning this belief - and I have no idea how to edit a poem!

• ThompsonPen profile image

Nicola Thompson (ThompsonPen) 2 years ago

The theme should of course remain untouched! I remember reading in years past of poets who would painstakingly take hours to produce a line or even a couple of words. That baffles me!

Twilight Lawns profile image83

Twilight Lawns says

• ThompsonPen profile image

Doesn't sound arrogant at all! I like the idea of getting the emotions and "moment" out there, and then applying, as you put it, "science and mathematics" later. I think for me the form was the hardest part to design.

Besarien profile image85

Besarien says

Radical Rog profile image83

Peter Rogers (Radical Rog) says

Seafarer Mama profile image85

Karen Szklany Gault (Seafarer Mama) says

Diana Lee profile image81

Diana L Pierce (Diana Lee) says

• ThompsonPen profile image

I certainly made the effort to read some other poems before even composing my poem. Poems are tricky beings! The idea of this particular one was to mimic the Romantic Era style - flower and imagination.

Sinbadsailorman profile image55

Donald Beres Jr (Sinbadsailorman) says

• ThompsonPen profile image

I love this, this is a fantastic answer

Vvitta profile image61

Kalai (Vvitta) says

• ThompsonPen profile image

That's a good way of putting it. I work in a writing center as a reader/tutor, and I hear sometimes we have people bring in their poetry, and trying to help them revise is something that scares me since I believe it is a representation of a moment

chaitanyasaivb profile image58

Sai Chaitanya (chaitanyasaivb) says