MarieLB profile image 84

How long is too long for a reader?

I have just written an article on the 2014 Sydney [Australia] siege. That was just a chronicle of events. I am now writing another one that touches upon hostages as individuals. This siege was a very dramatic, emotional event. One could easily write a book about it. Here we are writing articles. I believe that today's readers want bite-sized chunks of text,& lots of pictures. But there is much I need to write. I guess one needs to know one's readers, but we don't. So tell me pls, what "magic number" would you consider as too long in an article for HP?

Venkatachari M profile image80

Best Answer Venkatachari M says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Thank you for taking the time VM. I know I am going to find it difficult to make it shorter, because it is about many hostages; so I will probably come back to your advice to remind me of the elements that need to be there.

alancaster149 profile image84

Alan R Lancaster (alancaster149) says

• Rakim Cheeks profile image

Rakim Cheeks 2 years ago

Considering the articles I have read in the past, I believe the average number for an article is about 1600 words.

Jodah profile image92

John Hansen (Jodah) says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Hi John Hansen, I appreciate your response. I think if truth be known, many people are just like you. I guess I am going to have to work more on this to bring it down to readable proportons. Thank you.

reinhardBeck profile image77

Reinhard Beck (reinhardBeck) says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Thanks Reinhard Beck for your answer. I seem to have a problem. My article goes way over that.

MarieLB profile image84

MarieLB says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

You know what peachy, I think you are right. I have noted that the more wordy an article [of mine] is the less views. I dont count the ones that bounce Pity my last one is much longer. I couldnt make it any shorter. But I will keep this in mind

Lady Guinevere profile image60

Debra Allen (Lady Guinevere) says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Hi Debra Allen, thank you for responding. That is exactly my point. Theory is good to know, but in practice, we dont all fit into it, do we? EG: I am amazed at how many times I get views with no voting at all. The reader is always right!

Stargrrl says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Thank you Stargrrl for taking the time. I truly appreciate all the responses. I reckon who better to understand my query than other writers who also want to reach readers, whether these are fellow writers or not. I am noting all the responses, tks