cam8510 profile image 93

When does point of view (POV) prevent killing off a character in fiction?

In a short fiction, written in first person, my main character/narrator is dying at the end. I understand that he couldn't actually die at that moment because he is the person telling the story. Is it legitimate for him to be in the very near his certain death (within moments) when the story ends? I hope my question is clear. I can try to clarify if not.

Best Answer aharris says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 2 years ago

I appreciate the straightforward answer, that I had painted myself into a corner. I also appreciate the time you took to develop solutions. I'm coming to my own resolution now, by reading the answers here, and one suggestion in the story's comments.

dohn121 profile image87

dohn121 says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 2 years ago

Thanks for the concrete example of this being done before. I actually did it once in a story I eventually had published, so it does seem to be acceptable. I appreciate your thoughtful input.

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 2 years ago

I've actually used this once in a very early ff story I wrote. It was published in an anthology, so somebody with a measure fo experience felt that it was an acceptable route to take. Thanks for the help.

cam8510 profile image93

Chris Mills (cam8510) says

Mark Lees profile image88

Mark Lees says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 2 years ago

Mark, if you want to see what I'm talking about, the title is A Patch of Blue Sky. Check my profile page.

tillsontitan profile image90

Mary Craig (tillsontitan) says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 2 years ago

Mary, that is how I felt, but I still had this feeling that he'd have to live afterward to be able to tell the story. I'll see what others think, but thanks for your input.

Rolly A Chabot profile image80

Rolly A Chabot says

• cam8510 profile image

Chris Mills (cam8510) 2 years ago

Rolly, I just want to clarify. My character is not dead at the end of the story. Is that enough or does it need to imply that he lived long afterward?