Dean Traylor profile image 95

Has anyone ever completed the reading of Finnegan's Wake?

James Joyce has written a few complicated books. Finnegan's Wake is by far his most complex (and complex feels like a light word to describe it) On numerous occasions I've tempted, but failed, to get passed the first twenty or thirty pages. I'm not alone, either. Thus, I suspect that a very small group of avid readers have actually completed the book. For them, my question would be: What is it all about?

chef-de-jour profile image97

Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• Dean Traylor profile image

Dean Traylor 20 months ago

Sometimes, i will read it bit-by-bit and I will discover a few things that indicate there are some aspects of myths he incorporated or that characters from previous stories are in there. And then, I'll read further and have those rules squashed.

Stella Kaye profile image90

Stella Kaye says

ptosis profile image72

ptosis says

• Dean Traylor profile image

Dean Traylor 20 months ago

Oh yeah! I'm certain that they based their song on this book or the possible Irish folktale that title came from. Somebody told me it was supposed to be a dream. Then again, I've heard it was a joke.