MarieLB profile image 83

Do you prefer to use short or long words, when in fact the variance in meaning is negligible?

If you read Quora you will already know this. But for others, I would like to share what I found so interesting; only after you tell me what is your view on this.

Best Answer Tim Mitchell (tsmog) says

• MarieLB profile image

Beams Mlb (MarieLB) 8 months ago

Aw Tim, don't be so humble. I read your articles with great pleasure, and your rating tells you that there are many others who do too. It is a matter of balancing the output. Where is the happy medium. You do better than I, because you edit and vet.

RTalloni profile image88

RTalloni says

• alancaster149 profile image

Alan R Lancaster (alancaster149) 8 months ago

Might come in use if you plan to do a page on either Old French or English nobility. The word is still in use in court (royalty) circles here in the UK. The Prince of Wales has an equerry (aka: aide de camp)

alancaster149 profile image83

Alan R Lancaster (alancaster149) says

• MarieLB profile image

Beams Mlb (MarieLB) 8 months ago

A master of words indeed. Alan Robert Lancaster, it is such a pleasure to read your answer.

Venkatachari M profile image81

Venkatachari M says

• MarieLB profile image

Beams Mlb (MarieLB) 8 months ago

As Antariksh Bothale [writer of the article I read in Quora] say, it is good to vary short/long words, short/long sentences. It is all a matter of balance and IF you are a master like he is, you can have fun with it all. You write very well V M .

Natalie Frank profile image97

Natalie Frank says

• alancaster149 profile image

You might introduce Malapropism to one of your characters to ridicule them. A touch of comedy goes a long way to prove a point that might otherwise seem pompous. It's been used to great effect on stage with a straight man to bear the 'pomp'

MarieLB profile image83

Beams Mlb (MarieLB) says