I feel that self-publish is the way to go. There is a variety of reasons I am making this statement.
1. You have total control over your material.
2. Whether you self-publish or go traditional there is going to be a lot of work for you as the author. It is the author that makes the success of his/her book. Most traditional publishers have a budget and unless you are well known they will not usually expend the resources to make your book a success.
3. There are many great books by unknown writers who never get the chance through a traditional publisher and
self-publishing offers that chance. The options available today are enormous for new authors.
4. Self-publishing allows you as an author to know the whole publishing process and as such you are better for the experience.
5. The profits for a self-published author are more than going with a traditional publisher. You have more control over the price you feel your book is worth taking into consideration any books on similiar topics.
6. The self-published route basically uses the same technology as traditional publishers with the printing technology today which save the costs of maintaing an inventory which can be costly.
7. Self-published books never go out of print as with traditional publishers. Your books are always available for purchase.