- Books, Literature, and Writing
Best Catholic Guidebook and Handbook - Catechism of the Catholic Church
Whenever I buy a new appliance, I always head straight to the manufacturer's manual or handbook and read it thoroughly before using my latest purchase. Over the years, my friends have sort of mocked my rigid habit but I think they're all beginning to see how it pays off in the long run. You see, I always get extended use of my products - in many cases well beyond the suggested life of the product.
So when I began to deepen my spiritual journey, I immediately purchased my own copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) in order to gain more first-hand insight into what the Catholic Church was all about and what it all meant to be a Catholic Christian.
I eagerly devoured the pages and quickly gained new wisdom and insight that really led me towards a deeper understanding of and appreciation of my Catholic Christian faith.
This is why I consider the Catechism of the Catholic Church THE best handbook, guidebook and manual to Christianity and Catholicism! Everything is nicely linked back to the Holy Bible and there is a very useful numbering system which numbers each paragraph and also provides cross referencing to related themes throughout the book.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church makes a great gift for newly initiated adults into the Catholic faith, non-practicing Catholics, as well as Catholics at any stage of spiritual growth.
Other ESSENTIAL Catholic Resources!
This makes indexing while you're reading easy and helps you establsih your own easy referencing system when you want to find some topic later on.
If you're looking for a less detailed, down-to-earth and simpler explanation of Catholicism and the Catholic Faith, then this is definitely the book to turn to.You can then come back and tackle the Catechism of the Catholic Church for more indepth study at any time.
This is a more concise summary version of the Catechism of the Catholic which is presented in a question-and-answer format; a total of 598 question-and-answers. It serves as a good quick reference and a good 'user-friendly' conversational type of study guide for youth and young adults.
Why I HIGHLY Recommend the Catechism of the Catholic Church
Here are some more details into the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC), which will confirm why it is a 'must have' resource for all Catholics:
- Profession of Faith (The Creed):
- Every country has a national creed or pledge. For example, the American’s Creed
- (William Tyler Page, 1917)
- begins with,
- “I believe in the United States of America as ...
- Similarly, the Catholic Church has its Creed, titled the ‘I Believe’ or “We Believe’, which is recited at every Mass. The CCC dissects The Creed and provides the reader with insightful explanations and references to the Holy Bible.
- The Liturgy & the Church’s seven (7) Sacraments:
- The Liturgy, as you will eventually learn, goes way beyond the actual Mass. Also, although most Catholics have received instruction in the faith and the sacraments as children and youth, the insights provided in the CCC, from an adult perspective, are invaluable. They are definitely worth reading about even though you may have already received several Sacraments.
- Life in Christ:
- The Beatitudes, Morality & Moral Law, Freedom, Social Justice, Virtues and Sin are some of the topics explored in Part 3.
- The 10 Commandments:
- This, as we know, is one of the oldest enduring human laws, which reach much further than the Catholic Church and even Christianity, since many people and societies all over the world ascribe to the values in these Commandments in some form or fashion. The CCC examines each one separately with appropriate biblical referencing and adequate treatment of all the difficult and unpleasant associative issues.
- Prayer in the Christian Life:
- A whole section - Part 4 - is dedicated to this important and continuous aspect of Christian life and living. It looks at prayer from five (5) perspectives -
- Blessing & Adoration, Petition, Intercession, Thanksgiving and Praise
- . It also examines the tradition of prayer, expressions of prayer and the various battles with prayer that every Christian faces daily and at varying difficult and challenging times in our lives plus much more.
Really beautiful and all-encompassing prayer!