- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- The English Language
Dogs and Monkeys in English Proverbs and Sayings
There are a large number of English Proverbs and Sayings about Dogs and Monkeys
In order to understand the finer points of the English language, Students of English need to know as many English proverbs and sayings as possible; this way they will learn to speak English like a native. People whose home language is English, which of course includes American English, use figurative language, including metaphors, proverbs and aphorisms all the time.
Here are all the expressions and sayings I can think of which relate to Dogs and Monkeys. If you can think of any more, do tell me, by leaving a comment on the Guest Book near the end of this page, and I can then add them to the list.
Sayings and Proverbs About Dogs
- Dog in the manger - You can't have it so you won't let anyone else have it either
- Dog tired - Very tired
- Dog eat dog - Acting ruthlessly to get what you want
- Dirty Dog - A cheat
- Dogged with bad luck - Burdened with bad luck
- Dressed up like a dog's dinner - Overdressed or dressed up flamboyantly
- The tail wagging the dog - The subordinate telling the boss what to do
- A dog fight - A fight between war planes
- It's a Dog's Life - It's a rotten life
- The Hair of the Dog (or The Hair of the Dog That Bit You) - An alcoholic drink taken the morning after a drinking session
A Carrying Basket for Cats or Dogs - Very useful if you need to take your cat or dog to the vet
You can buy this from Amazon - it's so convenient
Get it now - it's no good waiting till you have an emergency - you need to keep it in storage till you need it. You won't be sorry
Proverbs and Sayings About Monkeys
- If you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys - If you pay a low price you don't get a good job
- Cold enough to freeze the brass balls off a monkey - Very cold
- Monkey brain - Somebody silly
- The three wise monkeys - Hear no Evil, See no Evil, Speak no Evil - observe but don't say anything about it
- Monkeying about - Messing about
- Up to Monkey tricks - Being cheeky or sly
- He has a monkey on his back - He's an addict
Monkeys and Apes are The Closest Species to Humans
And yet they are often portrayed
in proverbs and sayings as
stupid, incompetent and otherwise highly suspect.
Why are they stereotyped?
Are we projecting our own failings on to
these highly intelligent and lovable animals?
Take This Poll: Cats, Dogs and Monkeys - How Do You Match Up Against the Other Pollsters?
If I had to choose between Cats, Dogs and Monkeys, and had them all lined up in front of me, I would be tempted to choose monkeys, because they are so fascinating and expressive.
However, if I actually had to look after a pet, I would choose a cat, because they are much easier to care for and I love their independence. I do like dogs too, but they are hard work, with their walkies, and constant demands for affection.
And for cleanliness I would definitely choose a cat - they are self-cleansing and unobtrusive in their toilet habits, whereas monkeys go anywhere, and dogs seem to prefer the back garden - yuk!
Which do you prefer, cats, dogs or monkeys?
Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs - Buy This Great Book From Amazon
It's always good to have reference books if you want a good range of vocabulary and love writing.
You will never be lost for words if you have this book as your companion
And the Oxford Dictionary series are always good value and well-researched
About the Writer, Diana Grant
I like animals, especially cats, dogs and monkeys
When I was a child living in Africa, we had a succession of pets, including monkeys, a baboon, a bush baby, a duck, a cat and two dogs.
These are my pets in the photograph on the right. I adored them, and used to dress up my dog in dolls' clothes. She was very affectionate, and I think she enjoyed the attention.
But living in sub-tropical Southern Africa had its dangers - snakes were a threat, as were malarial mosquitoes, bilharzia bugs, jigger fleas, and rather nasty scorpions and spiders with poisonous bites.
Just to Wind up this Web Page, Here's a bit of Fun - You Can Get These Cat Designs on a Card, Mug, T-Shirt , Key Ring or Button, on Zazzle
You can even insert your own wording, or choose the colour and style of your items. Zazzle is just such a pleasure to play about with:
Please say Hallo - it's always good to see who has visited.