When writing on paper, do you prefer to use pen or pencil?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)
  1. embarrett91 profile image58
    embarrett91posted 10 years ago

When writing on paper, do you prefer to use pen or pencil?

Just a simple question I am curious about. I personally prefer pen, because it is easier to see and it slides more smoothly than a pencil. Also, sometimes pencils get dull and you have to sharpen them, or they tip can break. I don't like it when I am deep into what I am writing, and I have to pause the flow. But, I know other people prefer pencil. What's your opinion?

1. Fancy Poet Girl profile image78
      Fancy Poet Girlposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Pen

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 10 years ago

I always use pencil, unless writting letters to friends and family, then I use a fountain pen.  Letters that for the running of day-to-day life can be done with any old ball point, typewriter or email.

1. chopovereager profile image61
      chopovereagerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Cool

3. Theater girl profile image69
    Theater girlposted 10 years ago

Anything......when I have a thought I grab whatever, marker, pencil, crayon (yes, happened once at school). You never know when the muse will strike!

embarrett91posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very good answer! I do find I have to use a pencil sometimes, if there is no useable pen around me. I recently actually wrote a section of my story in dark colored pencil because I could not find my pen.

1. vacuumcleanerciti profile image60
        vacuumcleanercitiposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Great

2. Theater girl profile image69
      Theater girlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have to do what you have to do!!!

4. mikielikie profile image59
    mikielikieposted 10 years ago

Hello. I used to like pencils but here lately I've come to appreciate the use of antique pens. I find them to give me a sense of style. To think of what might have been written with these pens intrigues me. But I do have a few antique mechanical pencils that are awesome. The pens win out all the time unless I'm drawing.

1. David Trujillo profile image52
      David Trujilloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can you include a picture of them? You make them sound exquisite!

5. chef-de-jour profile image94
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

I wrote a letter this very afternoon and used a blue biro pen. The experience was positive.
    In the past I've used an inkpen which is always a very exciting thing to do because you never know if the thing is going to suddenly empty on you and your word dry up before your very eyes.
    I never use a pencil.

I recently used a quill, in writing class, it was my first time ever writing in that way, and my teacher brought colored ink for the enjoyment. I did love it!

6. profile image72
    grumpiornotposted 10 years ago

That depends if I am on earth or in space. Most pens don't work in space, so I keep a pencil, just in case I need to put a message in a bottle...

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

I always use a pen. Between my bad handwriting and poor eyesight, a black or blue ink pen provides much better contract. Granted you cannot erase. I could say I never have a need to, but that would not be truthful. I just scratch out and rewrite. Approximately 99 percent of what I write is on the computer.

I too don't have the best eyesight. What is interesting about that actually is I can see better up close than far away, yet I still find that I struggle sometimes to read light writing like pencil so I very much prefer the dark ink.

8. Taleb80 profile image78
    Taleb80posted 10 years ago

Nowadays, there is a new stage of my relationship with pencils. Something let me think that I am sharpening my mind while I am sharpening my pencil.

1. David Trujillo profile image52

Sharpening...

I actually hate pencils because I cannot sharpen them right. Being left-handed, they always sharp more to one side than the other which present´s serious problems when the point starts to fade.

2. embarrett91 profile image58

I also don't like sharpening pencils either lol not because I am left handed, it's because it really irritates me when it either doesn't sharpen right, or keeps breaking.

9. wayne barrett profile image73
    wayne barrettposted 10 years ago

Oh, so you don't write on the back of dressers with a crayon any more?

LOL. No, but Penny does!

10. Thief12 profile image91
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

In school and college, I preferred pencils. It was cleaner and easier to correct typos. Now, work requires me to use blue ink pen to sign documents so I always use that. I rarely write with pencils anymore.

Well I do use pencil sometimes for more important things like that. When it comes to personal writing  though, there is no grading or anything, so I don't mind if I have to cross a few things out.

11. Rosyel Sawali profile image63
    Rosyel Sawaliposted 10 years ago

Hmm now your question got me thinking. I guess I haven't used pencils in a while, but I like using really sharp ones when writing. Lately I've used pens more and I like ones that really write well. ^_^

12. K-112 profile image61
    K-112posted 10 years ago

I like to use pen because pencil smears on paper and it's hard to read later. You can't erase pen but I still think it's better for most writing purposes.

I never thought of how pencils do that actually. It is true though, sometimes it also kind of fades as well. I have many old short stories saved away from years ago, and they are hard to read now because of how much the pencil has faded.

13. David Trujillo profile image52
    David Trujilloposted 10 years ago

Pencil.

Good to bite when nervous. The pen gets ink all over your mouth and when you chew it too much the lid iwont go on again.

Lol, good point there. I do sometimes bite the end of my pen, so I have never had a problem with the ink getting into my mouth.

2. David Trujillo profile image52

Its usually the really cheap pens made from plastic, that will break under the nervous teeth trying to answer the tricky question that you go over and over, but can´t get to the answer hanging at the tip of the tongue.

14. wqaindia profile image38
    wqaindiaposted 10 years ago

I always use writing in pen as whatever you write is original whereas writing with pencil can be erased and you can tailor your ideas which may not reflect your true personality. I am typing this online and would also like the HP to withdraw the reedit facility available only for a few minutes. Readers can judge the words even if they are misspelled. Keeping in line with my motto "Speak Truth and Forget", I allow free flow of words from my heart either to be written by pen or through keyboard online but never with pencil which can give a distorted version of your personality tailor made to impress the online communities.

Yes! I was just explaining to my boyfriend this morning, how I really actually love the mistakes you can make with a pen. Say if I accidently wrote the wrong word, maybe it's the universes way of telling me, that word is okay, and it might fit!

15. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 10 years ago

I prefer a mechanical pencil unless I'm writing a letter to someone.

16. Grayson Ho profile image55
    Grayson Hoposted 9 years ago

It's always pencil. I feel more confident when using pencil, my inspiration comes faster and i write faster when using pencil. lol

17. Monazza Hashmi profile image60
    Monazza Hashmiposted 3 years ago

my preference would always be using a pencil as I commit a lot of mistakes while writing and pencil help me in keeping my work less messier,more mistake-free and open to ammend whenever  the need arises.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)