The Secret Order Of The Gumm Street Girls
Welcome to Sherbet ...
Welcome to Gumm Street in the town of Sherbet. A quiet street in a perfect little town where three little girls live. You'd expect they'd be best of friends, but ... no. These little girls greatly dislike each other and that doesn't seem likely to change until a new family moves to Gumm Street and changes their lives forever.
For seven years, bad luck has followed Ivy around like a dog on a leash. Her father disappeared, her mother is a washed-up beauty-pageant winner, and now Ivy and her mother have moved into a ramshackle house on Gumm Street. Ivy's new neighbors - bookish Pru, stuck-up Cat, and wannabe adventurer Franny - are worse than unfriendly. But then a mysterious pair of ruby red slippers turn up, and the four girls are swept away ... not to OZ, but to the jaw-droppingly strange lands of SPOZ, and SPUDZ, and OOZE, pursued by the fashionably mad Cha-Cha Staccato, who bears a frightening resemblance to a certain wicked witch ....
Join us on Gumm Street as the girls begin their adventure one summer, the summer Ivy and her mother move to town, the weather in Sherbet goes wonky and the Jinx doesn't leave.
Gumm Street Girls: My Review
This was a light, fun adventure romp with the girls who live on Gumm Street suitable for girls probably 8-10 and up. There are a few "scary" scenes, but nothing too terrifying so perfectly appropriate for this age. The writing style borrow a little from Lemony Snicket - departing from the story to talk directly to the audience - and the plot is heavily influenced by the Wizard of Oz, the book not the movie. Makes a great tie-in for a next book to read if your child hasn't already discovered the wonders of Baum. Probably not a great story choice for a boy since Fred the dog is the only male main character, but definitely a great "read-aloud" book. Gumm Street Girls
The author, Elise Primavera, is also the illustrator and her pen and ink drawings are rough and more sketch-like than full blown drawings. They complement the story, though, adding a little more chaos into the mix.
The Secret Order Of The Gumm Street Girls - Get your own copy today!
Gumm Street Girls: The Characters
Prudence Gumm - lives at #1 Gumm Street. By nature very cautious, likes to read and is constantly quoting safety tips.
- Class: Tuna-on-Rye, moving to Bacon-Lettuce-and-Tomato
- Favorite food: Hot dogs with Mustard and Relish
- Favorite book: The Wizard of Oz
- Never leaves home without: Safety kit
- Favorite Safety Tip: "In the case of shark bite, roof collapse, mudslide, earthquake, shipwreck, gastrointestinal disturbances far from bathrooms, or any similar emergency situations, 99.99% of all successful outcomes depend on doing one thing: Staying Calm!"
- Unique talent: Her cautious nature
- Class: Liverwurst
- Favorite food: Pizza with extra cheese
- Favorite candy: Jelly Squirtz (You can never have enough candy.)
- Never leaves home without: A bag of cookies
- Favorite quote: "Adventure is worthwhile in itself." -Amelia Earhardt
- Favorite spot to hang out: Lookout tower at the top of her "wedding cake" house
- Unique talent: Her great ideas (Cartwheel Class and Zombie Spray)
- Class: Tuna-on-Rye
- Favorite food: French toast with maple syrup
- Favorite trick: A one-handed cartwheel
- Never leaves home without: 3 pennies and a copy of the I Ching
- Loves to: Play the piano and ride her pony (not at the same time)
- Lives in: A treehouse
- Family trivia: Cat's the only daughter of eleven children
- Unique talent: Her ESP
- Class: Liverwurst (moved from Tuna-on-Rye)
- Favorite food: Fried Chicken
- Never leaves home without: the Jinx
- Family trivia: Her mother, Pearl Gale Diamond, won the Miss Venus Constellation of Stars Pageant
- Favorite pair of shoes: Her secret shiny silver ones
- Unique talent: Her strength
- Color: White
- Size: Small
- Weight: Fat
- Unique talent: They always seem to know exactly what is going on
Gumm Street Girls: Which character are you the most like?
Gumm Street Girls: Your Thoughts - Write a review, add a comment, or debate someone who disagrees with you.
What did you think?
I'm an official Gumm Street Girl!
Gumm Street Girls: About the Town of Sherbet
The town of Sherbet has a boardwalk, a candy store called the colossal Candy Bar, a five-story silver-and-gold ice-cream parlor called the Arctic Ice Cream Palace, a fabulous amusement park, a riding stable with ponies - you name it.
The weather in Sherbet is particularly marvelous, too. It is polite, only snowing in the winter to make things look pretty. It is predictable, raining in the summer every day at exactly 4 p.m. for exactly 45 minutes, followed by a breathtaking rainbow. In short, Sherbet is about a hundred times more wonderful than where you or I live.
Gumm Street Girls: Rate it, if you dare...
On a scale of 1-7, what did you REALLY think?
Gumm Street Girls: Listen to the Story
Gumm Street Girls: The Supporting Cast
Cha Cha - sister to the Wicked Witch of the West and determined to get the shoes Dorothy took from her other sister
Gumm Street Girls: Official Site - Don't miss it!
- Gumm Street Girls Club
Sign up to be a member of the club! You can download bookmarks, send e-cards and get the Gumm Street Girls flashlight code to use with your friends.
Don't be afraid to use your unique talent.
Gumm Street Girls: Packing List
Gumm Street Girls: Franny's Great Idea
Franny is just full of ideas, usually underappreciated by those around her. But she has one in this book that proves to be a great one - packing those emergency backpacks. Just in case. Got your pack ready?
Franny put together a great list of useful things to pack in their backpacks. What do you think was the most important thing Franny included on the packing list?